Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Oil for a FW (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/oil-fw-t203393.html)

Beck55 10-16-2012 02:49 PM

Oil for a FW

Hi everyone,
I just purchased my first FW and really think I will love it. I have been reading a lot of post so not to duplicate a question but haven't seen this addressed. What kind of oil and grease do I use for my featherweight? Is there a difference? A friend of mine told me not to use singer cause it gums up the machine but to use something called Tri Flow. What does everyone else use? I am excited about sewing on her but think I need to oil cause don't think it was used for awhile.

thanks,
Becky:o

Kittywolf13 10-16-2012 03:03 PM

everyone around here recommends the triflow. i ordered some but in the mean time ive been oiling my machines up with sewing machine oil from Singer. Found it at walmart and its been doing the trick, but i figured id grease the gears once the triflow comes in. :)

nanna-up-north 10-16-2012 03:52 PM

Many members here do recommend tri-flow. I bought some and like it. But, Singer oil is okay.

J Miller 10-16-2012 04:28 PM

FeatherWeights use either Singer or Tri-Flow oil. Tri-Flow is better, but there is nothing wrong with Singer oil. I use both to tell the truth.

For the gears under the thread spool cover I use Tri-Flow grease. It's great, but there is nothing wrong with using Singer lube.

For the motor, use only Singer lube that comes in the tube. Not Tri-Flow or anything else.
The qualities that make the Tri-Flow grease great for gears is the same thing that makes it unacceptable for Singer motors.

Hope that helps.

Joe

Beck55 10-16-2012 05:20 PM

thank you so much Kitty, nanna, and Joe your input helps a lot. I understand they are low maintance but didn't want it mess it up before I got to use it.

thanks again,
Becky

Kittywolf13 10-17-2012 03:57 AM

So I have to ask. I oiled the motor with singer oil. Is this going to spell bad things for my
machine? It wasn't trifold just normal singer sewing machine oil. :/ I hope not. She's been sitting for a few days as I'm waiting for my bobbins to come in to test stitch.

tenngal 10-17-2012 01:57 PM

I only use Singer Oil and the Lubricant on my 8 FW's and 301's.

icon17 10-17-2012 02:04 PM

1st of all OIL and Grease are two Different things! OIL's for Gears Grease is for your MOTOR don't ever Put Oil in the Motor! And For MANY years Good old Singer oil worked on FW's So Why change a Good thing Now! :)

misskira 10-17-2012 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by icon17 (Post 5592952)
1st of all OIL and Grease are two Different things! OIL's for Gears Grease is for your MOTOR don't ever Put Oil in the Motor! And For MANY years Good old Singer oil worked on FW's So Why change a Good thing Now! :)

Grease (or lubricant) is most definitely for the gears. Grease is not for the motor... Singer lubricant is for the motor. Oil is for the moving parts where metal ru s with metal. All of thesis diagramed in the manual.

misskira 10-17-2012 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kittywolf13 (Post 5591509)
So I have to ask. I oiled the motor with singer oil. Is this going to spell bad things for my
machine? It wasn't trifold just normal singer sewing machine oil. :/ I hope not. She's been sitting for a few days as I'm waiting for my bobbins to come in to test stitch.

How much did you put in? That's what will matter. One drop and you will be fine. Perhaps it even helped (as Dave Mccullum describes in his book.) if you put a lot in, there is a chance it can fling around in the motor and get on the brushes, and possible burn it out. My guess is that oil in it once and it will survive. If you're super worried or you put a ton in, you might want to open the motorup and try to clean it out some. There are motor tutorials out there...