Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Oil Spill!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/oil-spill-t250153.html)

GreyQ 07-14-2014 04:31 PM

Oil Spill!!!

I spilled sewing machine oil on my favorite sweatshirt. How do I get it out? The house smells like oil. I've tried laundry soap & Oxyclean. I may have to try Dawn detergent, it works on oiled birds. Any advice?

amcatanzaro 07-14-2014 04:33 PM

Original blue dawn and hot water. Don't let it sit too long (not sure exactly how long is too long, but 2 days is) it will bleach the spot.
Follow up with original Tide.

Rodney 07-14-2014 06:06 PM

Stain the rest of it so it matches?
I've had decent results from stain removers like Shout. I think all they really are is super concentrated detergent in a gel form though.
I think Dawn and Tide are the best dish and laundry soaps out there too.
Rodney

Monroe 07-14-2014 06:08 PM

Dawn works well, so does Simple Green. My industrial machine sometimes spits on my work, and I find Simple Green sometimes works even better than Dawn.

coopah 07-14-2014 06:32 PM

Go with the blue Dawn. I use it to pretreat anything washable. Sometimes I have to wash something twice (spaghetti sauce), but it takes everything out so far...even trailer hitch grease on new white capris. (Those had to be treated and washed about 5 times.) Just don't dry them in the dryer until all the stain is out.

sewgull 07-14-2014 06:34 PM

Original Dawn, blue one, should get oil stain out. Place Dawn on stain let set couple of hours, then was with Tide. DO NOT dry in dryer, air dry. Repeat if stain still shows. Octagon soap, comes as a bar wrapper is red and white with name black, is another item to have in laundry area. I got lipstick on an entire load of white t-shirts, did not see lipstick stain until after clothes dried. Rubbed Octagon soap on damp lipstick stains, amazing you could the stains fading out. After washing again there was NO stain at all.

GreyQ 07-14-2014 07:26 PM

It's the oil smell that I'll try to get out. It's a working sweatshirt so stains aren't such a big deal. I'll try the Dawn. Thanks!

Dollyo 07-15-2014 06:45 AM

Lestoil removes oil stains and odor

tessagin 07-15-2014 06:51 AM

Lestoil is the best. But not readily available here so I use Dawn original.

Originally Posted by Dollyo (Post 6802139)
Lestoil removes oil stains and odor

GreyQ 07-15-2014 11:34 AM

Soaked overnight with Dawn then 2 wash cycles with added borax just to get the Dawn out but the smell is significantly decreased. It's still there so I'm airing it out. It's only about 60F here so it's not going to dry any time soon. It's an old sweatshirt but I didn't want to toss it. I haven't seen Lestoil in years! I'd completely forgotten about that. Thanks for all the tips! I'm sure others will appreciate it, too.