Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Ok, this time I need help identifying my new machine..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/ok-time-i-need-help-identifying-my-new-machine-t259812.html)

SteveH 01-16-2015 03:56 PM

Ok, this time I need help identifying my new machine.....

3 Attachment(s)
Yeah, I'm at a loss at this point. Still researching, but no matches yet.

I just won this on the auction site of doom. It was actually an accident. I had a limit in mind, and was about to up my bid to that at the last second when the icon buttons changed from the number I wanted, to about 100 more.... Just as I clicked... sigh.

I am however VERY glad I got it.

1. Ceramic handle means most likely German (or Canadian)
2. Has it bobbin and shuttle!!!!!!!
2. looks to be around the 1870's time frame.
4. the scalloped edge of the needleplate is too cool
5. love the molded in bobbin winder
6. This is my first belt driven lockstitch machine

It will not be here for about two weeks but I have these pics in case ANYONE can find a match.
I suspect a Charles Raymond variant, but it looks more like an American #1.

Ideas?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]506440[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506441[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506442[/ATTACH]

GEMRM 01-16-2015 05:48 PM

Don't know anything except it looks intriguing!

KenmoreRulesAll 01-16-2015 06:14 PM

Similar to a Grant(?) hand crank. I'll keep searching -- probably with no luck.

NJ Quilter 01-17-2015 04:03 AM

Absolutely no clue but it is a very cool machine!

lindaschipper 01-17-2015 05:47 AM

I saw one of these in an antique junk shop in Wisconsin last fall.....had no idea what it was either.

Cogito 01-17-2015 07:51 AM

Gosh if you don't know...who does! :D It will be really fun to see you transform this!

Mrs. SewNSew 01-17-2015 09:17 AM

Wow Steve! YOU are my go-to guy so if you don't know I am totally lost! I will be following along to see how it clean up and what you can find out about it. What a weird accident-bid. I NEVER thought about how that could happen but OMG! It really could! (I am agreeing with the possibly German made. I've been researching heavily on my new machine and it also has the porcelain handle)

Rodney 01-17-2015 09:32 AM

I'm useless to you too. I do like the "floating"bed on that one though. If it's German in origin I expect it will be difficult to find who made it.
Rodney

sews 01-17-2015 11:10 AM

Steve, I love research and may do some more later, but I do find that I don't have enough knowledge about these machines to know which ones may also be from the same manufacturer.

Here is a link to the German Google image page. The German words you want for further searches are "antike Naehmaschine" .

If you find a page with info in German, PM me if you need help. Of course, Chrome offers built in translations.....

SteveH 01-19-2015 08:54 AM

I am still suspecting Canadian primarily, but German is also a possible. Thanks for the well wishes! Hopefully it is going to be shipped today.