Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   old 27 prove capable and steady once again. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/old-27-prove-capable-steady-once-again-t196351.html)

greywuuf 07-31-2012 11:46 AM

old 27 prove capable and steady once again.

1 Attachment(s)
Well people...here is a picture of my latest project in work. It is an adaptation of a18 th century haver sack. (Don't ask why I needed one, suffice it to say I am eccentric)[ATTACH=CONFIG]352760[/ATTACH]
Those straps are 8 layers of folded 8 ounce canvas and all of the seems were bound with leather salvaged from a piece of furniture.the old treadle machine seemed bored with it all.I continue to be amazed at how much I like this old girl.

J Miller 07-31-2012 12:04 PM

You are going to show us a pic of the finished project I hope. And my wife wants to know if your using a pattern and if so where did you get it.

Joe

greywuuf 07-31-2012 12:16 PM

Yes I will give some photos ( fuzzy and out of focus because I am about as good a seamstress as i am a welder ...pigeon poop comes to mind) and no... no pattern. I went to Duluth pack company and looked at their "Hatchet haversack " watched the review video by the "Pathfinder school" and bought an Cheap Painters tarp from one of the big box home improvement stores. I then decided on the dimensions I wanted and kinda doodled till I had a sketch that would work.

you would not believe how many WRONG ways there are to attach things to a bag.... seam rippers are my friend. oh plus the mistake of sewing things on the outside...and sewing the INSIDE pockets shut... I have done every seam on this thing at least twice. But hey its good practice.

Monroe 07-31-2012 12:42 PM

It's amazing how many uses there are for canvas tarps!

Krisb 07-31-2012 07:37 PM

You went to the store in Canal Park? That's a long way from Alaska! Before or after the great flood?

greywuuf 07-31-2012 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Krisb (Post 5409714)
You went to the store in Canal Park? That's a long way from Alaska! Before or after the great flood?

yeah yeah , ok. So I went to duluthpack.com.... but being from Alaska, that is as good as it gets most times ;-)

ArizonaKAT 08-01-2012 06:23 AM

I had one of those. Do you reenact?

Caroline S 08-01-2012 06:36 AM

Well done, and done, and done. And hooray for your 27.

greywuuf 08-01-2012 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by ArizonaKAT (Post 5410433)
I had one of those. Do you reenact?

No I do not do reenacting, I am more of a "Historical trekker" but it is not from a scientific or scholarly stand point, it is from a teaching my Children about sustainable living/ self reliance... though to them it is just cool stuff in the woods.

Krisb 08-01-2012 07:13 PM

Darn, I just wanted to see if anyone could give me an update on what the aftermath is. Well, other than our friends with flooded base,ente.