Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   old black sewing machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/old-black-sewing-machines-t121692.html)

Buckeye Rose 05-09-2011 11:25 AM

Sorry to all of you who do collect the old ones, but I spent money to get all the bells and whistles like needle down, thread cutter, fancy stitching without extra little doodads. Mine stitches just fine and straight, I don't have to adjust the tension or do much of anything to get a great quilt top. And.....I only spent $190!!! (and at Walmart) I will take my brother any day over an old one.

brushandthimble 05-09-2011 12:02 PM

Once I decieded I wanted, make that needed a FW; I settled on looking for one from my birth year. Now DH wants one for his b'day and I will look for one from 1951, Cenntenial model; I have til Nov to find it.

Originally Posted by cindit
From the discussions I have seen, it seems that the Singer Featherweight is the most desirable machine to have. Is that true? I have would like to get one, but need to decide on one model to look for. What is the definition of a Featherweight? Is there a model number or what years where they made? Any information would be helpful. thanks!

onemoe 05-09-2011 12:02 PM

I sewed everything from canvas awnings to fine fabrics with same needle!

teacherbailey 05-09-2011 01:45 PM

I use a 1941 cast iron Singer exclusively, though I have several much newer machines. My Singer never does anything stupid---like randomly break the thread in the middle of the seam by changing its own bobbin tension---and if something does go wrong, I take out the bobbin, reinsert it, completely unthread it and rethread. Problems have always been solved. I also agree with the others....they are workhorses, sentimental value for some and just a great sewing experience every time.

Sandra in Minnesota 05-09-2011 01:51 PM

They are also soooooooooooo cute!!

nwm50 05-09-2011 02:36 PM

that's right, Lavada.....don't walk...R U N! Git that there machine down and let's see what it is!! Let us know!

luce321 05-09-2011 04:40 PM

I will second that Oakie, the vintage site you mentioned is awesome.

bobbie1 05-09-2011 05:34 PM

I have an old Home Mark. All metal..no fancy stitches but a work horse. Love the old machines because you can do maintenance yourself. Use mine whenever I do a rag quilt. Can clean up after sewing. Computerized machines can't be cleaned. Have to send off.

smitty 05-09-2011 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by cindit
From the discussions I have seen, it seems that the Singer Featherweight is the most desirable machine to have. Is that true? I have would like to get one, but need to decide on one model to look for. What is the definition of a Featherweight? Is there a model number or what years where they made? Any information would be helpful. thanks!

a Featherweight is the most desirable if lightweight portability is your major concern. otherwise, there are a lot of models what make great stitches,worry-free, etc. 201,301,401. 15-91,99, 66, etc. there is a lot of info online,too much to state here. Educate yourself & find one for your own. most of these can be had for under $200. avoid eBay, if possible, because of the weight/shipping of
these vintage machines. always good to try before U buy.

smitty 05-09-2011 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
Sorry to all of you who do collect the old ones, but I spent money to get all the bells and whistles like needle down, thread cutter, fancy stitching without extra little doodads. Mine stitches just fine and straight, I don't have to adjust the tension or do much of anything to get a great quilt top. And.....I only spent $190!!! (and at Walmart) I will take my brother any day over an old one.

I'll see you in ten years with my vintage Singer. bet you won't have your Brother in working order. and I do not mean this
to be rude or mean-spirited. just the facts, Mamm.