Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   old clone - only sews in reverse (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/old-clone-only-sews-reverse-t236460.html)

vanginney 12-10-2013 11:32 AM

old clone - only sews in reverse

Hi All,

I have an older eatons (1970s) clone - only sews in reverse. Any suggestions? I haven't opened it up yet...thought I would take advice from the experts first. It is vertical bobbin, mechanic metal machine.

crocee 12-10-2013 11:46 AM

To me it sounds like the reverse button may be stuck. Sometimes the inside can stick even if the outer part shows disengaged. I have a Necchi that sticks sometimes but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get oil to it. Can you post a picture of the machine?

vanginney 12-10-2013 12:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]451188[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]451189[/ATTACH]
The reverse button is jammed when on '0' but is unstuck when the machine is set to '4'

miriam 12-10-2013 12:38 PM

I've been fighting with Kenmore machines that stick in reverse. That is not a clone it is badged Japanese zig zagger. You have to get out a flash light and look way inside behind your dials and levers and knobs and oil anything that moves. If it doesn't move you missed the spot. I have a machine I haven't won yet.

mlmack 12-10-2013 05:38 PM

On some machines, the reverse button won't move when the stitch length is set to "0", and the button extends as you increase the stitch length.

You are going to have to get inside there and check everything out from the button all the way down to the feed dogs and see what is stuck.

vanginney 12-10-2013 06:39 PM

Yup. Got the thing working sewing straight and only straight. But then decided to take the hairblower to the decorative knob. Loosen it up and know cant get it back to straight stitch. Arghh. Anyone have a manual. I think I just dont have the dial right or I can get it back to click into the straight stitch. Arggh.

SteveH 12-10-2013 07:03 PM

I'm tellin ya.... ya need to go fer pre 1901 machines... ahhhh

SteveH 12-10-2013 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by vanginney (Post 6450066)
The reverse button is jammed when on '0' but is unstuck when the machine is set to '4'

Is it possible that the "gauge" or outer number dial, is out of place?

vanginney 12-10-2013 07:23 PM

I think so! But I have tried every increment. Damn it. Should have left it at straight stitch. Its my co workers machine. All she wanted was SS. I should have left well enough alone. But i want to get it totally working for her. Know I have to give her a back up 80s singer I have. I give up too easily. :)

oldsewnsew 12-11-2013 09:31 AM

remove the top cover if you haven't to lube and observe motion of levers. Also these are sort of like combination locks. Once you start turning to buttonhole psn you have to let it finish the whole sequence. often the orange dot positions are where you can switch the selector.