Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Old Sewing Machine find (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/old-sewing-machine-find-t139893.html)

gmaybee 07-25-2011 02:31 PM

Nice looking machine.

luce321 07-25-2011 02:39 PM

Really nice machine and looks so new and clean. Great price too.

gramquilter2 07-25-2011 03:56 PM

Wow that is a beautiful machine.
I would take it in and have it
checked and cleaned. Have fun
sewing with it.

GrannieAnnie 07-25-2011 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S
I was at my favorite thrift store on Friday and saw this machine on sale for $19.99. I passed on it but it kept calling to me. I went back Saturday to buy it and the price was even lower, $9.99. So she came home with me.

It is called a Plymouth and was made in Japan. It does have a serial number of Z1087664. Nowhere is it marked made in Japan or a date. I do not believe that the case it came in is original to the machine because the thread post is bent. Likely the machine was mounted in a cabinet.

The wiring is good, light works, motor runs, but the machine is a little "clunky".

I did some internet research and the best information I could find is that is a clone of a Singer Model 15. Can any of you confirm the info I found? I do think it is worth taking to the local sewing machine doctor to be cleaned and fixed. What do think?

Decide how much it's worth to you and ask about cleaning and repairs. She's pretty regardless.

Jingle 07-25-2011 04:04 PM

Beautiful machine, 1st I've heard of the name and 1st I've seen one. Lucky you to get this and a great price.

GrannyHanaDa 07-25-2011 05:45 PM

What a great find.

janiesews 07-25-2011 06:04 PM

Looks pretty-get it cleaned and oiled and it will probably sound better. Enjoy.

Caroline S 07-25-2011 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S
I was at my favorite thrift store on Friday and saw this machine on sale for $19.99. I passed on it but it kept calling to me. I went back Saturday to buy it and the price was even lower, $9.99. So she came home with me.

It is called a Plymouth and was made in Japan. It does have a serial number of Z1087664. Nowhere is it marked made in Japan or a date. I do not believe that the case it came in is original to the machine because the thread post is bent. Likely the machine was mounted in a cabinet.

The wiring is good, light works, motor runs, but the machine is a little "clunky".

I did some internet research and the best information I could find is that is a clone of a Singer Model 15. Can any of you confirm the info I found? I do think it is worth taking to the local sewing machine doctor to be cleaned and fixed. What do think?

Update on Patience. She is now well oiled, drippingly so and even shinier. I went to the sewing machine repair shop and bought her a new belt, cost $1.39 plus tax. She now sounds pretty good. Tomorrow I will learn to thread her, wind the bobbin and see how she sews. I did have a Singer needle in my sewing stuff that fits her. Thanks to all of you who provided me the the internet links for the manuals.

FYI, while I was at the repair shop I asked them what it would cost if I brought Patience is for maintenance and cleaning. Would you believe the price was $129.00? If something really goes wrong I will be using Billy's tutorials and learn something along the way!

Dee 07-25-2011 08:35 PM

Very nice. I'd have it gone over to use.

Joyce Ann 07-26-2011 10:40 AM

very nice machine