Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Old???!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/old-t258829.html)

ptquilts 12-28-2014 05:09 AM

Old???!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Since moving out of our house I am down to one machine, a Singer 185J (1957 vintage). Had a good laugh the other day when the Terminix guy came in to spray, saw the machine on the table and said, "Wow, that's an old machine!" I replied, "It's the same age as me!" and he said "oops!"

It just doesn't look that old to me, now the old black Singers DO look old. Guess I am in a time warp.

Macybaby 12-28-2014 05:50 AM

Makes me remember the comment from a clerk at an antique mall. She wasn't that much younger than me, probably late 40's.

I was carrying a "dashboard" machine up to the front, and it was heavy! She commented "those old American Made machines sure are built to last - not like the Japan made stuff!"

She was very surprised when I showed her the "made in Japan" label and said it was made after WW2.

For me, anything that came standard electric doesn't look old.

J Miller 12-28-2014 09:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The 185J is just an updated 99. Nice little green machines. I had one once ... till my wife saw it and said; "Thanks, it's mine now." :D

Here's one that looks "old" cos it is "old":
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503946[/ATTACH]
It's a Davis made Minnesota Mdl B sold by sears prior to 1910.

Joe

QuiltingVagabond 12-28-2014 10:24 AM

Joe, just comparing your Minnesota B to mine which is a treadle - on mine the bobbin winder wheel has no rubber and lines up with the treadle belt. It looks like the arm that attaches to the machine head is on the right hand side of your winder and on the left side of mine.

J Miller 12-28-2014 10:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond (Post 7024287)
Joe, just comparing your Minnesota B to mine which is a treadle - on mine the bobbin winder wheel has no rubber and lines up with the treadle belt. It looks like the arm that attaches to the machine head is on the right hand side of your winder and on the left side of mine.

You are correct. Mine was originally like yours. I had to use a belt to wind the bobbins:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503952[/ATTACH]

Jon (jlhmnj) told me I could shift the bobbin winder over so I could put a tire on it and not need the belt.

Joe

J Miller 12-28-2014 10:50 AM

ptquilts,

Sorry about hijacking your thread. It wasn't intentional.

Joe

Rach L. 12-28-2014 03:00 PM

I've got a 185J...it's my favorite machine. In fact, I just finished a rag quilt on it the other day. You're case is in much better shape than mine, still a nice green color. Mine is now a lovely shade of nicotine yellow. :(

I don't blame your wife, Joe. The 185J is a wonderful little sewer!

J Miller 12-28-2014 03:20 PM

Rach L.

Our case is a faded green too. But that's ok. What gets me is that although the 185s are just updated 99s, ours is considerably quieter than our 99s.

Joe

Rach L. 12-28-2014 03:25 PM

My 185J is quieter, and in my opinion, sews better than my 99K. ...then again, maybe I'm just biased because green is my favorite color. :D

kiffie2413 12-28-2014 03:45 PM

Rach L.,
I laughed at your "green is my favorite color comment". As I've told dh the same thing. I have several vintage machines, but I've said to him I'm hoping to find "just the right green one"...:thumbup:

Kif