Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Older Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/older-sewing-machine-t82383.html)

raptureready 12-13-2010 07:54 AM

I think mine's a 15. The same walking foot, darning foot, etc. that worked on my newer Brother and Singer machines work on it. My advise is to find a vintage machine that will fit the accessories that you already have.

kat13 12-13-2010 04:57 PM

Can you tell me what the difference is between the 15-91 and the 99k? Does the 99 do FMQ? Are they both 3/4 size?
I have a treadle base and want a machine for inside, the one in there doesn't work, its german and measures 12-1/2 x 6-1/4.
Thanks

thepolyparrot 12-13-2010 05:25 PM

The 99 is 3/4 size and takes a class 66 bobbin - you can do free-motion quilting on it, but I think the horizontal bobbin would mean that you'd get a lot more skipped stitches than with a vertical bobbin.

The 15 is a full-size machine and the treadle-able versions of the 15-91 are the 15-88 and 15-89. One of those is the model number for a hand-crank - can't remember which one - but converting it to a treadle is easy. You just remove the handcrank and put the machine into the treadle cabinet and put the belt on it. There are earlier models of the 15 (the 15-30 is the only model number I can think of) that were also sold as treadles and handcranks.

As to what machines will fit into your treadle, you need to know the dimensions of the bed of the machine, the diameter of the hinge pins and the measurement between the hinge pins from center to center.

Do you know what's wrong with the machine that's in there now? Some of these machines are unbelieveably easy to restore to working condition. :)

kat13 12-14-2010 07:35 AM

Thank you Elizabeth, you are just a wealth of knowledge!!
I am really good at taking things apart but putting them back together...not so good. The machine was damaged when shipped to us so pieces are broken off and it locks in one spot when turning the wheel. No parts can be found or info on the machine, we tried several sources and even the museum did not have this mach or info on it. The manual we have from the 1800's in all in german.
Kat

thepolyparrot 12-14-2010 09:10 AM

I'm sorry to hear that your machine got so damaged in shipping. Packing a machine for shipping is not a job for the faint-hearted - it's a lot of work to do it right.

You might try joining the treadleon mailing list if you could post some pictures of your machine on picturetrail or webshots or something, someone with a similar machine might be able to provide a manual or replacement parts?

Or, if yours is well and truly dead, maybe someone with the same machine is looking for replacement parts that you might provide? :)

kat13 12-14-2010 10:02 AM

My hubby spoke with someone from treadleon who directed us to a couple of sites but had no luck. Thanks for the post ideas, had never heard of those sites. If we can't get it workable I'm thinking I might donate it to the museum.
thanks!

vintagemotif 12-14-2010 10:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I started using vintage machines in treadles this summer for sewing quilts when I purchased my first treadle Singer 66-1. All my machines have been found on CL or free. I have around 10 machines now, but there are only three that I sew with, and yes, they are in treadles. I took their external motors off of them. My all time favorite machine is my Singer 201. It is the smoothest and quietest machine with the prettiest stitches I have ever seen in a machine. It is great for piecing and straight stitching quilting, but I don't use it for free-motion quilting. My 15-90(in treadle) is the machine I use for free-motion quilting. It too is a great machine for piecing and straight stitching, but not as nice as my 201 for this type of work. Why the different machine for free-motion use? It has to do with the bobbin area and the way the pick-up of thread for this type of quilting. The 201s and the 66s have a horizontal bobbin area while the 15s have a vertical bobbin. It seems that the 15s are better for free-motion quilting because of their vertical bobbins. I would hunt for Singers since parts are easy to find for replacement, and I wouldn't pay more than $50 for treadle and machine that you are going to sew with. I picked up a free treadle with a crappy cabinet(with machine Singer 9W1) and later a free cabinet. They can be found, just keep watching CL. Yard sales are great too for cheap but awesome finds. Also, reading the Vintage Sewing Shop that Billy started here on this site is very informative and educational. Plus, fun to see other folks machine finds and projects.

My 201 has a walking foot on it that I use all the time. It is designed to fit the feed dogs of the vintage Singers.

Singer 201 Tension in front, longer thread holder
[ATTACH=CONFIG]143240[/ATTACH]

Singer 15-90, tension on side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]143241[/ATTACH]

Singer 66-1 with brown Lotus decals
[ATTACH=CONFIG]143242[/ATTACH]

kat13 12-14-2010 11:39 AM

wow...beautiful machines! I'm pretty sure the 201 is what my Dad taught me on and the cabinet is identical to what he had. I've been on Billys site, haven't quite recovered from when my butt fell asleep trying to catch up. I can't believe all the machines, I definately have the bug and am learning alot...like I wish Billy was my neighbor! Hopefully after xmas I'll have more time. I live out in the middle of nowhere, nearest lg city is 3-1/2hrs away. I do have a cousin in WI who loves estate/garage sales so she is keeping an eye out for me!

thepolyparrot 12-14-2010 05:08 PM

Oh, those are really gorgeous machines! I'm putting a 201-2 back together right now, but it's electric. I wish it was in as beautiful condition as yours. I'm going to have to paint this one if I ever want it to be pretty, again.

My 66-1 was the twin of yours a hundred years ago - but its decals are sadly almost gone. :(