Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Older Singer & White Sewing Machine Parts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/older-singer-white-sewing-machine-parts-t181029.html)

SewOK 02-28-2012 12:11 PM

Older Singer & White Sewing Machine Parts

2 Attachment(s)
The attached pictures are of an older Singer Sewing Machine Buttonhole Attachment and miscellaneous feet/attachments and cams that go to an older model of a White Sewing Machine. DH purchased a used sewing machine for a project he is working on; the machine and all of the items shown were in a large wooden box which the sellers insisted he take with the machine. I have no idea what older Singer machine this buttonhold attachment will fit or if it is worth any money.

J Miller 02-28-2012 12:28 PM

SewOK,

That button holler fits the low straight shank Singers and any others that use that mounting system.
I've paid as little as $3.95 from a local thrift store to $15.00 or so from Good Will auctions. They are fairly common.

They usually come with only 4 cams so that one has a few extra. It should also have a large screw to attach the button holler to the machine and a feed dog cover plate with a smaller screw for it.

I'm looking for another one so if you are not going to use it and would like to sell it let me know.

Joe

Candace 02-28-2012 07:30 PM

Most vintage machine owners have a large box of these that multiply in their closet. I'd never buy one as I own a set for every machine I own!

Shelbie 02-28-2012 08:40 PM

This buttonholer is an update of the older black version. It sold in the sixties and seventies and will fit most short shank machines. I love them as they make perfect uniform buttonholes every time and can be adjusted for width. This buttonholer even fits my Janome 6500. I use it to make butttonholes that are wider or longer than the Janome's built in buttonholer will make. The different cams will make regular buttonholes, keyhole buttonholes or even eyelets.

GEMRM 02-29-2012 04:51 AM

I have a Janome SM5030C and I wondered if the Singer buttonholer will work on it? Would you happen to know Shelbie? I have a slightly newer, but essentially identically functioning Singer buttonholer attachment, with cams that fits my 401, would love to be able to use on my Janome.

Charlee 02-29-2012 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by GEMRM (Post 5018010)
I have a Janome SM5030C and I wondered if the Singer buttonholer will work on it? Would you happen to know Shelbie? I have a slightly newer, but essentially identically functioning Singer buttonholer attachment, with cams that fits my 401, would love to be able to use on my Janome.

Try it and see... I've tried my ruffler on my Janome, both short shank, and the ruffler did not fit. :( There wasn't enough space for it with the presser foot bar up...putting the presser foot down was out of the question!

GailG 03-01-2012 10:36 PM

The one I have for my 404 is in a pink box but looks the same. My machine is a slant needle model.At the time I bought a couple of extra cams for different lengths of buttonholes (not quite sure, but perhaps a 5/8 and a circle (for belts). Will have to dig it out to really see what I have. Mine was purchased in 1962).

Charlee 03-02-2012 01:19 PM

I associate the green boxes with short shanks, the pink/red with the slants....