Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Older Viking Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/older-viking-sewing-machine-t98492.html)

marmalade 02-10-2011 09:54 AM

I have a chance to get an older Viking machine (metal, in cabinet) for free. Apparently it is in great working condition.
I don't know what the model is, but the machine has 2 dials on the rt side and a sliding lever. I am guessing it is from the 50's or 60's.

Should I take it? Assuming it is in working order, of course...or am I asking for trouble???

Prism99 02-10-2011 09:56 AM

I would take it! I think there is a vintage Viking machine group on Yahoo. Should be lots of help and information there. Worst case, you can always donate the machine later if it doesn't work out for you.

The difficulty is, you might get addicted to collecting and fixing up old machines. They are fascinating!

feffertim 02-10-2011 09:58 AM

If its free, what do you have to lose. I think Vikings are great machines, probably works well. You can always take it to a viking dealer and have it cleaned and serviced, I think you will have a great machine

sharon b 02-10-2011 10:02 AM

BUT - let me warn you , once you start getting the vintage machines one is never enough :shock: LOL get it , its free and might turn out to be a real jem :mrgreen:

butterflywing 02-10-2011 10:04 AM

machines from the 50s and 60s were still pretty basic compared to now, so if it works, definitely give it a whirl. have it cleaned out professionally and after that you can probably do it yourself.

sharoney 02-10-2011 10:08 AM

I have 2 Vikings, one I bought new in about '85, and one I bought a couple of years ago from Craigslist, which is a '74 model. I love them both-they are awesome machines. Do take it to a Viking dealer for cleaning and service-should cost about $100 or so. worth it.

LaurieE 02-10-2011 10:13 AM

I would say definitely take it. I still have mine which was the top of the line in 1972. It works beautifully. The great thing about the older Vikings is you can get into the machine further (than you can with the modern machines) in order to do some self cleaning.

Kuusistoquilter 02-10-2011 10:14 AM

I am addicted to Vikings. They are the only machines I have ever used. Viking gear cases are generally good for 25-30 years. They are great for basic sewing, but the attachments are expensive. I tried to buy a walking foot for mine and it was $139.99. I will have to wait a bit before I can afford it.

4L 02-10-2011 10:19 AM

I have two Vikings right now and these are my 3rd and 4th of my life... My family had a Viking as I was going to college and we sold it at our parents' estate auction in the cabinet.. It was green in color and had "cams" to change functions. I did blind-stitch hemming to many skirts and pants on that old green Viking...I got it ready for the auction and Mom had carefully saved all the parts, manual etc. It went very cheaply on the auction.Had I had room in my car to haul it and my house to use it I would have bought it...

np3 02-10-2011 10:28 AM

I love my Viking machine. I think it is a great find for you.