Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   OMG, I've gone crazy. I just bought a FW! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/omg-ive-gone-crazy-i-just-bought-fw-t314511.html)

themadpatter 02-27-2021 06:31 PM

OMG, I've gone crazy. I just bought a FW!

For $341.17 on Shopgoodwill. I was sure someone would outbid me. Well, yippee, lol. I hope they pack it well so it doesn't get crushed on the way from Connecticut to California. From C to shining C, lol.

Tartan 02-27-2021 08:41 PM

I hope she arrives safely! I take mine to workshops and charity sew when we are not in lockdown.

sewbizgirl 02-27-2021 10:37 PM

They are like little tanks, so don’t worry too much about shipping damage!

Congrats and have fun with your new baby.

janiebakes 02-28-2021 08:29 AM

I bought one several years ago and it was shipped in winter. The OSMG who serviced it and sold it to me said to let it warm up for a few hours after you unpack it and before you run it. Cold weather stiffens up the oil.

FoggyButFocused 02-28-2021 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by janiebakes (Post 8464706)
I bought one several years ago and it was shipped in winter. The OSMG who serviced it and sold it to me said to let it warm up for a few hours after you unpack it and before you run it. Cold weather stiffens up the oil.

What great advice! Not only would the oil thicken, but since it is an all metal machine and the tolerances are so close, the metal in the machine would contract ever so slightly, and it's possible the gears would not all mesh correctly. I never would have considered this. Thanks for posting this advice!

Enjoy your FW!

juliasb 02-28-2021 12:28 PM

How exciting! I am in love with my FW's. I have 2 and would not trade either. I can be putting both to work at one time easily. Of course I can also share one with my sister when she comes over for a sew a long. I am so happy for you.

Pam S 03-01-2021 04:31 AM

You're going to love it. They make such a nice stitch and you can do all the maintenance yourself. Not to mention that they are so darn cute. Mine goes to all my retreats.

SusieQOH 03-01-2021 06:46 AM

What a treasure!!! You are going to love it. They are so much fun and super easy to maintain. Be sure to show us when you get it!

Cheshirepat 03-01-2021 08:53 AM

You are not doing my self-control *any* good, you know...and besides it almost seems like I *have* to get one now!?!? :D

I am just getting finished with my 'lil 99k -I've got a new bug-eye lamp coming in the mail along with some bobbins...and I'm twitchy for a FW! If I ever see one with a reasonable price tag...sigh.

leaha 03-01-2021 10:09 AM

welcome to the FW club! I love all 4 of mine, they are so cute and real work horse's and so easy to maintain. can I tell you about the best buy I made to go with mine? the book and DVD by David R. McCallum, how to care and fix your FW they are great for me a must have. happy for you , happy quilting!