Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   One can only laugh (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/one-can-only-laugh-t291808.html)

themadpatter 10-12-2017 09:10 AM

One can only laugh

I wasn't sure if this should go here or in the main forum, so I chose here, since its not exactly quilting oriented, per se.

OMG, I am so slow sometimes, I make myself laugh. I've always struggled when sewing on buttons with my Necchi Supernova, because the fabric would catch on the feed dogs and make the button pop off, etc., etc., etc. After about 45 years of using this machine, and 22 of it being my everyday go-to, I JUST NOW realized I could drop the feed dogs. Doh. Oh, and that it might be easier if I use the special button sewing foot that comes with the machine. I might have to change my name to Homer Simpson. I'm such a railroad tracks thinker sometimes. I do what it says, and don't think for a minute I might do other than what the manual says. I'm like the classic Einstein quote - doing the same thing over and over and hoping for different results. But anytime I want to think of an alternative, I'm Joe (sephine) Creative Thinking. Weird.

This amazing flash of insight and brilliance was triggered by telling a new NSnUM2 owner how to use the stitch width lever. Ermagerd.

Cari-in-Oly 10-12-2017 09:31 AM

You're not alone here. I've been known to get in such a rut doing things the way I've always done it that it won't even occur to me that there might be a better or faster way of doing it. Then I'll see something online or someone will show me a better/faster way and it's a smack my forehead, could've had a V8 moment.

Cari

cashs_mom 10-12-2017 09:39 AM

When I read your post I was thinking "you're supposed to drop the feed dogs". Did your manual not tell you that? I have sewn buttons on with a regular zigzag foot. It's doable but the little buttonsewingon foot makes it sooo much easier. lol

bearisgray 10-12-2017 09:55 AM

Well - now you know! LOL

NZquilter 10-12-2017 11:30 AM

Gotta love those moments when you remember you are only human:) Thanks for the Einstein quote; it's the first I have heard of it and I love it!

QuiltnLady1 10-12-2017 03:57 PM

I had to smile because I, too, have been known to forget to lower the feeddogs when I go to sew on a button -- and if you also neglect to set the stitch length to zero the machine does not like it (oh how I know).

maviskw 10-14-2017 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 7923725)
Did your manual not tell you that?

What manual? ? ? I tend to take things our of the box and start using them. I don't have the patience for reading any manual. I bought a leaf blower more than a year ago and never put it together because I couldn't get anything out of the manual. Yesterday I sent it home with my daughter. "Here. You put it together." Her husband will be happy to do that.

I actually do the same thing with quilt patterns. First, I almost never use patterns. But at the class we were suppose to use the same pattern. I followed along with the demonstrated directions for a while, but then was intrigued enough to look at the "book" see if they did it the same as we were doing. Then I could figure it out, but then I made my own "cheat-sheet" to hang on the wall in front of me so I would do it the right way.

themadpatter 10-14-2017 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 7923725)
When I read your post I was thinking "you're supposed to drop the feed dogs". Did your manual not tell you that?

It's not in the manual. I've actually read it, lol. I just checked it to make sure, and it's not there. Then I checked the "Supplementary Instructions," and it does have a little bit in there, titled, "Button Sewing Without Automatic Mechanism." There's such a thing as button sewing *with* the automatic mechanism?? Can't figure out what they mean by that at all.

However, they do have a nice tip in it: After sewing the button using zigzag (and zero stitch length, yes, I've found out that's bad, too, QuiltinLady1) move the needle to the left position (and stitch width zero) sew a few stitches to lock the zigzag stitches. OK, that was definitely worth reading it, lol.

scrap adict 10-20-2017 10:48 AM

I know the feeling. I envied those whose radio told them the song in the car. Doh, I was messing around and now I have it too! I’ve had my car ten years and just found this without looking.

themadpatter 10-20-2017 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by scrap adict (Post 7928249)
I know the feeling. I envied those whose radio told them the song in the car. Doh, I was messing around and now I have it too! I’ve had my car ten years and just found this without looking.

Lol, and there's an app for that, you know! ;)