Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   an other one, done just for fun (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/other-one-done-just-fun-t259248.html)

xxxxxxxxxx 01-05-2015 04:44 PM

an other one, done just for fun

2 Attachment(s)
I've toyed with the idea of doing this for years. A 3/4 size machine treadle or handcrank..

So yesterday I took a oak end table, donated it's top to the cause, cause its all I have in decent looking wood. when stands come up for sale I get those, do the clean up and paint. then toss'm in the pile.

I'm using a singer machine, so why not use a singer stand.

As you know most all hand cranks are in portable cases. I don't even care for sewing when the machine is in a case. It's the lifting the fabric up , I drug my feet so long on doing this, because of the clearance factor between the crank handle and table top.

I set the machine to the right, so that the crank handle is over the edge of the top. well about half the handle hangs over. last night sew'd on this for a few hours and used two different 128's

Today the top was mounted and holes make for a belt. Thats a oxygen tube belt They make things go around, but need to be so tight to keep from slipping, That you end up with stiff treadling. Buy a real leather belt

as of now that top is 24 x 27 inches, which is a bit wide compared to most treadles. This is just day one. I'm sure I'll be doing more to the top and plan to make one more of these, but using a new Home stand.

anyway just showing you what can be done..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504858[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504857[/ATTACH]

Barb in Louisiana 01-05-2015 04:51 PM

You did that very nicely. I'm impressed. I, too, have an old stand and a Singer 27. All the woodwork is gone. I may have to steal your idea and get my husband to do my a fix like that.

Pat M. 01-05-2015 04:58 PM

Could you take a picture of the bottom of the table so I can see how the machine is being held up? Metal braces? Or what? Thank you

Alawai 01-05-2015 05:04 PM

This looks fantastic 10xs, I'm impressed with your work as always.

xxxxxxxxxx 01-05-2015 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pat it dark here now, my camera doesn't do well inside. I use a router and inlaid the machine, just like singer does there's. between the belt holes there is a spot that has to be clearance for a nut under the machine bed.

I don't bother with hinges, because a machine sits very solid just like this, before this is finish, I'll find a deep baking pan and use that as a oil dip pan. The wood looks a bit hacked up, I spent my day light hours getting the head to fit tight.
I said hole for the belt, as you can see there slots, the reason is The belt can then be slipped under the machine without taking it apart

most building supplies will sell half sheet some time a 1/4 sheet of oak faced 3/4" plywood, then to dress up the edge there a iron on oak edging, as used on counter tops. its real oak the iron melts the glue, easy and sticks very well.. other than hunting oak coffee tables LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504873[/ATTACH]

Rodney 01-05-2015 06:32 PM

Very nice 10X! I've seen similar cut down treadle stands but not for a hand crank. I think the ones I've seen were done either because the drawers were missing or the owners wanted it to fit somewhere small. Hanging the crank over the edge is a good idea.
Good use for an old coffee table. Far less expensive than buying new wood.
Rodney

Cogito 01-05-2015 06:34 PM

Very cool 10x! Thanks for sharing your creative projects. It helps the rest of us stretch our creative muscles!

redbugsullivan 01-05-2015 06:43 PM

I'm liking this, a lot!! I have a couple of Singer treadle bases that need a top AND some great machines to fit to a changeable top like this. The slot idea, nice to see in action. I use screen spline for treadling, not too stiff when stretched just enough to grip. You have inspired me!!

xxxxxxxxxx 01-05-2015 07:35 PM

This is the third one I've done so far using that old table tops. the others are full size machines treadle or electric
There is a rim that screws around the bottom edge, that could go right back on. Or you could also install that and cut a drawer frond into the rim. This top extends to the rear a bit far for most people, that could be cut and hinged, so a drop leaf read section..

I've seen parlor cabinets that have an iron frame inside,

all toll I might have around 4 hours into making this thing ..

a tip, if you do something like this always make sure the machine bed, when finish sit just a hair above the tops surface. if not the fabric when slide to the needle will want to hang up.

Jeanette Frantz 01-05-2015 09:03 PM

Wonderful idea -- My main machine (my 328) is in a 4 foot cabinet my husband built custom, with a drawer #1 having dowell spools for my thread (just not enough for all the thread), the second drawer holds the attachments, etc.
the third drawer is divided to file patterns (dress patterns), and the bottom drawer holds fabric, etc., but it doesn't hold enough of the fabric, not by a long way! I have three more machines, no four, in the living room-dining room, including a Singer 403, a National Two Spool Treadle, a Singer Featherweight, a Babylock serger, now my Singer 201 in the living room, plus I have a big load of my aunt's stuff packed into my living room-- not a pleasant state of affairs! Good luck to you with all you do.
Jeanette