Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   parts 15 ooops maybe not. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/parts-15-ooops-maybe-not-t294059.html)

leonf 01-14-2018 05:52 PM

parts 15 ooops maybe not.

3 Attachment(s)
So I saw this nasty 15 on CL. missing throat plate, faceplate/tensioner. Looked terrible.

Cabinet was not even worth dragging home. Then i noticed the RAF decal. ohoh. I'm am an old warbird fan and like British things. So I looked it over more carefully. It would turn a few degrees. It's bobbin case had bunches of thread trapped and would not let anything move under it. Compared it to a 15 clone Eureka and tore it apart. Fixed it. Presser bar was seriously stuck. PBlaster, a smaller hammer and a punch and an hour of tapping got it released and operating right. Borrowed a Singer face plate, the Eureka throat plate and it is stitching now. Hmm. How to power it??[ATTACH=CONFIG]587077[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]587078[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]587079[/ATTACH]

NZquilter 01-14-2018 06:00 PM

Oh, I love the RAF decals! If there is one more machine i need, it is one with the RAF decals. I love WWII history and have been a British fan since high school. (Did you pick it up a couple of months ago in St Joe, MO? I think it was the one I was watching too!:D) Congratulations! So glad it went to a good home! You have clean it up so well. The decals look proud and shiny...

leonf 01-14-2018 06:04 PM

Picked it up yesterday in Olathe. Never saw the owner. He left if on the porch. I left $ under a brick.

NZquilter 01-14-2018 06:11 PM

Wow, missed that CL posting! I watch CL like a hawk too, not that I need anything or even want anything at the moment. It's a nice machine! Is there a way to make it a treadle maybe?

OurWorkbench 01-14-2018 07:00 PM

Nice score :) Great job, as usual, cleaning it up.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

tscweaves 01-14-2018 07:44 PM

Oh wow, the decals are in great shape! It sure cleaned up well. It is like you can't kill a 15 even if you want to:D

Cari-in-Oly 01-14-2018 10:09 PM

Nice save Leon.

Cari

bearisgray 01-15-2018 03:31 AM

awesome cleanup/restoration!

leonf 01-15-2018 06:40 AM

This was just the amount of challenge I like. No pieces actually broken. head scratching for a bit. Tore apart a 15 bobbin race (actually 3, That may be another post.) to figure out why it was locked up. Lots of oil and the punch I used was a re-purposed 14" steel rod. Yes, NZQuilter, I could make it a hand crank. Thanks all.

Macybaby 01-15-2018 10:28 AM

You may have the one that the stitch length goes opposite the regular 15-30 goes, I have one too, and it's got a few differences - but I don't recall what the exact submodel is. These are uncommon enough, and in good enough condition that it should not be used as a parts machine. I expect most of the parts are the same, but some must be different for it to work differently.