Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Passed by a Singer 401 A on the sidewalk... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/passed-singer-401-sidewalk-t225101.html)

Cecilia S. 07-04-2013 04:48 AM

Passed by a Singer 401 A on the sidewalk...

...And I let it stay there!

I was terribly proud of myself. My tiny living space is already bursting at the seams with sewing machines, and I am already too distracted from my work by the urge to tinker on these lovely old stitchers. When I saw this old sewing machine out on the sidewalk, abandoned on moving day, of course I had to slow down and take a look. But, I carried on and left it there! For someone else! Not me! Yay!

This is a-major- advancement in the management of my newly-developed psychological condition called MachinusMustusRescuitus.

I was -so- proud of myself. Can't rescue 'em all, right?

Wasn't I strong? Wasn't I tough? Did I show amazing sensibility and restraint and generosity to my fellow beings who would then come along and find this beauty?

All of the above. Oh, and I was also on my bicycle. And laden with groceries. And twelve kilometres from home. And the machine was in a cabinet. And...

Maybe I don't get the accolades for self-control after all ;-)

-Cecilia

Quilt Novice 07-04-2013 05:36 AM

Congratulations on your restraint! Now where exactly did you leave it? LOL

Caroline S 07-04-2013 06:25 AM

Where, WHERE, WHERE?????? MachinusMustusRescuitus, I have it, there is no cure that I know of unless it is distance and room.

Daylesewblessed 07-04-2013 11:09 AM

I probably could have left the machine, but I would have been going through the cabinet drawers looking for attachments, screwdrivers, bobbins, a manual, etc. -- anything that I could have managed to stuff in the grocery sacks!

caroloto 07-04-2013 01:07 PM

Brave one you are...lol! I am sort of getting that way too now if the machine seems to be way to much work and needed parts to buy I am passing on them.

jeaninmaine 07-05-2013 04:08 AM

Love the 401, I probably would have tried to get it even if I was walking.

mjhaess 07-05-2013 04:11 AM

Wow...You have more will power then I do.....I would have had to grab that baby....

Grace MooreLinker 07-05-2013 06:49 AM

Good for you I don't think the bike could have hauled another item. they are hard to pass up through ..

bearisgray 07-05-2013 06:53 AM

How hard was it to resist going back just to see if it was still there. :-)

miriam 07-05-2013 10:25 AM

Several years ago my son spotted a sewing machine in the pile of trash across the street from my house. I did rescue it. It was a 401G I learned so much from that machine... No we didn't have room for one covered in dog poop, dirt and garbage but we figured it out. As I was cleaning it I discovered what a cool well made machine I was looking at. No that machine doesn't look like much but I am so glad I rescued it. It now sews and doesn't occupy some land fill. Please post the location so someone can rescue that machine.