Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Peek in the past (sewing box) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/peek-past-sewing-box-t262967.html)

liking quilting 03-23-2015 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl (Post 7137590)
Looks like a nice collection for a shadow box display.
sandy

Oh, now there's an idea. I've got at least one shadow box that I've never used....:thumbup:

roserips 03-23-2015 11:24 AM

Check your darner some of them are made so that you can remove the handle and store the needles inside the egg. Very nice collection of items. Would love to see your thimbles better. I love the old thimbles and collect them. Yes they came in all sizes and used all kinds of different materials. I have a couple of child thimbles that are so tiny. Just imagine those little fingers learning to sew. How different our world is today.

liking quilting 03-23-2015 02:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Okay, Bee3, DonnaMiller & roserips, (hope I haven't forgotten anyone), here is a little more from that old sewing box of goodies. The bee & honeycomb pincushion close-up.
And,\ I had never thought about them having knitted the gloves & socks (thank's for that info).
And the thimbles are both old & new ones. Only one is plastic, the rest are metal - with several of the metal ones being bent by heavy use, I suppose. They became a little more oval in shope.
Oh, and the sock darner egg is solid wood (handle does not turn off).
I smile every time I read a post and chuckle that all of you are enjoying this discovery with me! Thank's again, for sharing in my fun and educating me![ATTACH=CONFIG]514592[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]514593[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]514595[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]514598[/ATTACH]

liking quilting 03-23-2015 02:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And, one more[ATTACH=CONFIG]514599[/ATTACH]

maviskw 03-23-2015 02:59 PM

Hi Mavis!
Those little white rings in the blue package may be chicken rings. They came in different colors and you put them on the chickens legs to show how old the chicken was. This year white, last year's chickens wear yellow rings etc. They are also used as knitting markers. You put them onto the needle to mark the end of a round or the spot you have to change something in your knitting.

And my mother used to use the burned out light bulb to darn stockings also. I have one in my sewing basket. Yes, I occasionally darn socks. (I was walking stocking-footed in my daughter's house at a party and must have stepped in something sweet. The dog found that sock and ate a 3 inch circle out of the heel of a brand new pair of wool socks. I darned them three years ago, and they still work.)

I have many of those items in my drawers, too.
Mavis

Glenn 03-23-2015 03:29 PM

My grandma used those white rings by crocheting around them and using them as curtain rings for her crocheted cutains she always made for the bedrooms.Skip

Stitchit123 03-23-2015 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 7136515)
Maybe its a sock darner?

It is a sock darner My step Mom always repaired our socks while watching TV - and that is a curling iron. Put it in the fire on cook stove and torture your grand daughter. My Gramma thought I looked cuter with curls and wearing a dress with fancy socks and white patent leather shoes. Yeah this made tree climbing a whole lot easier LOL

BROADSTAIR'S QUILTER 03-24-2015 12:53 AM

I think the tongs are for ironing/pressing ruffles, nothing to do with hairdressing.

Sandal 03-24-2015 03:44 AM

Fabulous! What a wonderful assortment of things you were given! Enjoy and treasure them!

solstice3 03-24-2015 04:45 AM

Some really nice pieces