Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Phaff #6 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/phaff-6-a-t202488.html)

QuilterGary 10-06-2012 02:11 PM

Phaff #6

I stopped by GW on my way to work tonight and they had a Phaff #6 in a cabinet guessing late 50s or 60s. Did not have time to mess with it tonight but it is $7.00. Anyone know anything about them. I was supprised to see Made in the USA on the motor. There were no extra feet or anything with it. Dirty and needs cleaning. If anyone knows anything about them let me know. I might go back and get it to play with. I don't need it I have 20 or so machines but for $7.00 one more won't hurt. As haevy as it is it would scrap out for that. Thanks

Caroline S 10-07-2012 07:26 AM

For $7.00 I would go back and get it and add it to the toy box. I saw a Morse at GW the other day (dirty, no foot controller, no attachments) and was informed by DD that I did not need another project. I am going back on Tuesday to see if it is still there. It is a MORSE and I want to save it!!!

cabbagepatchkid 10-07-2012 07:30 AM

You both are sick, sick, sick...I tell ya' ....:D.

cabbagepatchkid 10-07-2012 07:39 AM

A few months back I was dropping off some bags of clothes at my local thrift shop and as I bent down, to put the bag on the floor, I came "nose to nose" with a blue and white rectangular sewing machine case! I asked the lady if I could peek in to see if there was a blue sewing machine in there and when I looked there was an adorable little blue Capri, Japanese clone model 15. Aren't thrift shops wonderful??!!

I asked if it was for sale but she told me that it wasn't checked over yet and so it wasn't ready for sale. Well, I couldn't stop thinking about that machine and finally I went back a few days later to see if it was ready for sale.....long story short....it's now one of my favorite machines.

Caroline S 10-07-2012 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid (Post 5568292)
You both are sick, sick, sick...I tell ya' ....:D.

Funny Cathy. My DD is trying to save me. Shhhh, don't tell anyone, but my sewing machine list is up to 81. The funniest thing is that DD was at St. Vincent's thrift store yesterday and sent me pictures of 3 sewing machines of interest. Is that sending mixed messages or what?

pinkCastleDH 10-07-2012 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 5568414)
Funny Cathy. My DD is trying to save me. Shhhh, don't tell anyone, but my sewing machine list is up to 81. The funniest thing is that DD was at St. Vincent's thrift store yesterday and sent me pictures of 3 sewing machines of interest. Is that sending mixed messages or what?

Caroline, 81? I don't know whether to thank you for making me feel better (I think we're around 30 but I'm not too sure at the moment) or curse you for giving me a target :) Fortunately I'm not overly competitive so I'm willing to not chase your total.

Caroline S 10-07-2012 09:47 AM

I am happy that I am making you feel better. The best thing to think about is that there are others who mave more. Actually collecting is a test for your organizing/hiding ability. DH thinks I have about 20:D:D:D. But he rarely visits my part of the garage and would never ever think to look under the quilts and comforters in the closets. Good thing that I don't collect snakes.LOL

pinkCastleDH 10-07-2012 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 5568630)
[FONT=comic sans ms]Actually collecting is a test for your organizing/hiding ability.

I don't think there's anyway I could hide a parlor cabinet from Herself. Another machine? Sure, though she's far more organized than I and probably remembers all of them that we have. A new treadle cabinet? Not a chance :)

cabbagepatchkid 10-07-2012 02:06 PM

One good thing about the old Singers is that, to the untrained eye, they all look sort of alike....so it's easy to sneak another one in without anyone being the wiser.....heheheheh!

pinkCastleDH 10-07-2012 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid (Post 5569034)
One good thing about the old Singers is that, to the untrained eye, they all look sort of alike....so it's easy to sneak another one in without anyone being the wiser.....heheheheh!

For us it's a shared hobby. I'm not as much into quilting as she is (though I try to help her with opinions/advice/math when asked) and she's not as much into bicycling as I am (though we usually get some time each year in on the tandem - this year being the exception.) Oddly enough I'll probably use the majority of the machines more than she will as she doesn't seem to be that interested in treadle/hand crank sewing - just in the machines themselves. Should I ever get to the point where I actually make a quilt I think a hand crank would be just my speed for piecing blocks and a treadle for actual joining blocks, quilting and binding.