Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Please explain what happened with my tension..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/please-explain-what-happened-my-tension-t257345.html)

KenmoreGal2 11-25-2014 12:16 PM

Please explain what happened with my tension.....

2 Attachment(s)
I fixed my machine but don't understand what happened. I have a 1958 Kenmore 117.841.

As a background, my machine has a tension dial with numbers 1-6. The dial has no stop, meaning I could rotate it until the cows come home (I've never rotated it that much though...). Usually I can sew just fine with my tension about 3. When I FMQ, I set it to 1. Here's are two pictures of my dial[ATTACH=CONFIG]500172[/ATTACH].

[ATTACH=CONFIG]500171[/ATTACH]

I swear I was sewing just fine this weekend. I was sewing denim and canvas together. Tensions were fine.

Yesterday I started to piece a quilt and my tensions were all off. I can understand that denim and cotton quilt fabric are different, but I mean way off. The thread was straight on the top which my manual says is because the top tension was too tight. At that point the tension was already on 2. I lowered it to 1 but that didn't do much. I tightened the bobbin tension and that seemed to help with the stitches but it just seemed wrong to me to have the tension dial set so low. As I said, about 3 is usually the magic number for me. So I put the bobbin tension back where it was.

Then I remembered that a similar thing had happened once before and what solved it was to turn the tension dial all the way past the 6 and rotate it all the way back to the 3 - a complete revolution. I did that and it fixed it again. But why??? How could my tension get so off that I needed to do a complete revolution?

BTW-Before I did this I cleaned the tension discs with a piece of cloth, didn't notice a difference.

Any and all suggestions appreciated. I hate when I don't understand what fixed the machine. I like to learn. Thanks!

crafty pat 11-25-2014 12:20 PM

Could the vibration from sewing the heaver fabrics be moving it?

KenmoreGal2 11-25-2014 12:27 PM

Oooh, interesting theory. Hadn't thought of that. Maybe.....

Macybaby 11-25-2014 12:46 PM

sounds like maybe your tension is getting disengaged a bit, and not releasing properly. Since this is normally linked with the presser foot, maybe it's from sewing a thicker fabric that is holding the foot up a bit higher.

So turning the dial a full revolution and then back could simply be freeing up that release pin so it then starts working properly.

Just a theory . . .

jlhmnj 11-25-2014 12:56 PM

The ghost of a previous owner is messing with you? ;)

This seems to happen to me on many of my tools including sewing machines---one week fine the next all out of adjustment. Seems to defy reason so I blame the unknown instead of thinking too hard on it. Just me.

Jon

Candace 11-25-2014 01:07 PM

What is that fuzzy felt looking thing???

miriam 11-25-2014 01:11 PM

I can see that your thread isn't in it right. Thread has to catch in the hook or it won't work right

KenmoreGal2 11-25-2014 01:22 PM

To answer 2 questions. The fuzzy white thing is a piece of Velcro which I put Sewer's Aide on. I read about that on this board. It seems to keep things running smoothly when I FMQ. Regarding the threading - the tiny wire which was next to the needle screw broke off completely a few months ago. It seems to work ok without it. I don't know how to put it back. It was tiny and hubby says possibly welded on. I still have it in a bag.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

ThayerRags 11-25-2014 01:24 PM

Good eye Miriam.

CD in Oklahoma

manicmike 11-25-2014 03:22 PM

Have you had a look at the bobbin case? Excessive top tension is not the only cause of straight top thread. If the bobbin tension was very loose, like if the tension spring is broken or the thread isn't under it, the effect would be exactly what you're experiencing.