Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Please help me thread my bobbin(1800's Domestic) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/please-help-me-thread-my-bobbin-1800s-domestic-t214825.html)

earthlovesky 02-25-2013 08:01 AM

Please help me thread my bobbin(1800's Domestic)

2 Attachment(s)
Hello, I am new to this site but recognized a picture of my treadle and knew I might have come to the right place. I recently purchased an 1800's Domestic treadle and a manual from Relics.com. I finally figured out how to put a new belt on and now am trying to thread the bobbin(I believe it is a style 8 bobbin). The diagram in the manual is not very helpful and I'm wondering if anyone could help me? Thank you.

cindypierce 02-25-2013 07:34 PM

I'm a long way from good at this but I have one that looks a bit like yours. I learned on U tube.Just type in long bobbin sewing machine. If you look on the right side front of your machine you might find the serial number. Singer carries the manuals from most of their machines. also Sewvacdirect has got the bobbins to go in it. If you go to the resources section I am sure they have more places to get parts and more shuttles. Wish I was more help.

cindypierce 02-25-2013 07:46 PM

also Sewclassic.com might have a better manual and they have parts too. If you haven't cleaned the machine you can watch a really good video on u tube. Be VERY careful about what kind of oil you use. All oils are not the same and some are VERY BAD for the classic machine's. These need to be oiled frequently and some of them need a stiff grease for some places. Mine is quite a bit younger than yours but I love Grandmother.(Yes. I name them all!)I now have 3 vintage. Also you might put a little vaseline on the bottom parts that move. It makes it much easier to pump when quilting or other heavy layers or materials. Happy sewing!!!

jennb 02-27-2013 05:36 AM

I have this same machine. Mine dates to 1873. I have it in working condition, but I honestly haven't threaded a bobbin and sewn on it yet. I don't have a manual for it. Let me know if you figure it out. I don't know how to thread it either, though honestly I haven't made any effort to learning how either.

solstice3 02-27-2013 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by jennb (Post 5891732)
I have this same machine. Mine dates to 1873. I have it in working condition, but I honestly haven't threaded a bobbin and sewn on it yet. I don't have a manual for it. Let me know if you figure it out. I don't know how to thread it either, though honestly I haven't made any effort to learning how either.

I just got a 1908 with the long bobbin and found a manual free to download on line. I want to think the model is a 27 or 28 and I think there is a K involved. If you can't find it, pm me and I will be glad to research it again or send you a copy.

jennb 02-27-2013 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by solstice3 (Post 5892167)
I just got a 1908 with the long bobbin and found a manual free to download on line. I want to think the model is a 27 or 28 and I think there is a K involved. If you can't find it, pm me and I will be glad to research it again or send you a copy.

This isn't a Singer machine. It's a Domestic which later became part of White. There are a few differences between this and the 27 or 28. I have both of those machines as well. I would assume winding the bobbin is probably the same, but I don't know about threading it.

chick30116 02-27-2013 11:50 AM

I have a bobbin like that in my 1900 treadle. hold the shuttle between the thumb and fingers of the lefthand. place the bobbin into the shuttle with the thread drawing toward the right from the side of the bobbin nearest you. place the forefinger on the left hand on the end of the bobbin and draw the thread downward into the long slot in the shuttle as far as it will go. then draw the thread straight upward and under the tension spring until the bobbin begins to unwind. I hope this is as clear as mud

earthlovesky 02-27-2013 06:56 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I am going to give it a try and will let yoou all know. Once again thank you!!

Muv 03-03-2013 12:17 PM

Hello Earthlovesky,

Are you asking how to use the bobbin winder to wind the thread onto the bobbin, or how to load the full bobbin into the shuttle?

Can I suggest you watch my Youtube videos about long bobbin machines, and also go to my blog and look at everything listed under the relevant headings, which you will find listed at the right hand side of the page. The links are below.

Best of luck,
Muv

lee231 03-07-2013 06:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have the manual for the Domestic machine like yours, will try to send pics. HTH's lee
IF you can't make it out I can email them to you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]400286[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]400287[/ATTACH]