Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Pls help with antique cabinet (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/pls-help-antique-cabinet-t267389.html)

ShirlinAZ 07-09-2015 09:06 AM

Pls help with antique cabinet

1 Attachment(s)
I got my Mom's Singer 15-88 and converted it back from electric to treadle. I am so happy using it! My question is about the cabinet. I think the roof leaked and water sat on the edge of the cabinet for a while. On one place the wood grain has raised and the wood is starting to split. Does anyone know how I can stop this decay without losing the 78 year old patina on the rest of the cabinet? TIA

J Miller 07-09-2015 09:41 AM

Shirley,

To reglue veneer that is delaminating I use Elmer,s carpenter wood glue and an old plastic credit card. Gently work the glue under the separated places and then clamp them down. Clean up the glue that oozes out before it gets totally hard. Once dried it's a good fix.

The pic you posted shows damage that I'd consider minor compared to some I've worked on.

Good luck.

Joe

ShirlinAZ 07-09-2015 09:48 AM

Thanks Joe. Yes, I've seen furniture in a lot worse condition, but I think if I don't take care of this it will only get worse. There are other spots on this cabinet, but this is the worst one. My sister has our Grandmother's 15-88 with the same cabinet and has finally decided to clean it up and use it. I think hers may be in worse shape than mine because it has been longer since it was used and got regular maintenance. We live several states apart so the web is our source of information. I am several steps ahead of her, so we both appreciate all the help you and others give on this board.

elnan 07-09-2015 12:30 PM

Joe, sure is good to see you back. I always enjoy and learn from your posts.

wilburness 07-09-2015 01:28 PM

Joe, welcome back!

I like your trick to glue down the laminated wood.

Rodney 07-09-2015 02:31 PM

Welcome back Joe! I hope things are settling down for you after your move.

Shirley Joe's advice is what I'd tell you too. And you're right, much better to fix it early. Glenn has a great tutorial on restoring finishes down in the tutorial section. It may help you too.
Rodney

Jeanette Frantz 07-09-2015 03:02 PM

Joe, It's sure good to see you back on the Board. We've all missed you a lot!

Jeanette

DonnaMiller 07-09-2015 09:51 PM

Follow Joe's advice. You can use 400 grit sandpaper to feather in the finish. Tint and finish accordingly. Thank you for saving this machine and loving it.

KenZ 07-10-2015 12:23 PM

I used Joes method to repair a cabinet that had at least 75 percent of the edge loose d I turned out very well. This is were I posted the finished pictures. [h=3]Singer 127 Sphinx in new home[/h]
Welcome back Joe.

ShirlinAZ 07-11-2015 08:55 AM

Wow Ken! That Sphinx is beautiful!. I don't intend to turn my 15-88 into that kind of show piece, as it will be my "daily driver". Besides, it doesn't have the beauty of the sphinx to start with. I did get the loose veneer glues down, including adding a small piece where the veneer had broken off. Now to take care of the dried wood where the grain is starting to split. Thanks for the help Joe and everyone else.