Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Positively My Last Machine (maybe) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/positively-my-last-machine-maybe-t269154.html)

Blackberry 08-24-2015 07:17 AM

Positively My Last Machine (maybe)

8 Attachment(s)
I have been very good about not purchasing anything for a few months. However since I have several of the Singer 201, 301, 401, 501 and some in the 600 range I was really wanting a Singer 101. Well, one popped up on CL yesterday and I just had to go and take a look. The seller came down $10 from his listed price and sold it to me for $40. I badly need a manual because there are things on this machine that I am not familiar with. You will be able to see some of them from the pictures, like what's with the bottom, what are the screws for above the label, what is the big thing to the left of the spool pin and of course what to do about this wiring mess. Also the round shaped thing that I guess covers the motor and it does twist off but do I need to do anything about it. Many questions.

Mrs. SewNSew 08-24-2015 07:22 AM

Looks like you got a nice compact little set up there. I know nothing about them but I wanted one for awhile too. Your "last" purchase?? LOLOL!

elnan 08-24-2015 07:54 AM

I googled "Singer 101 Sewing Machine", and the third hit is a pdf of 54 pages of the original manual, very thorough, but the pictures are dark, as in all of those copied manuals. It is from singerco.com . The first hit was from this quiltingboard.com dated May 5, 2011, also very informative regarding actually using the machine.

Sunflowerzz 08-24-2015 08:04 AM

FREE DOWNLOAD HERE>
http://www.singerco.com/support/inst...man_model_no=1

ManiacQuilter2 08-24-2015 08:41 AM

Well, this gal finally has a loving home. Good Luck with getting her in tip top shape.

Rodney 08-24-2015 10:30 AM

You already have the manual info. Class 66 bobbins and regular old 15x1 needles. The bottom is covered. You can pop the two round covers off to grease the gears. It's a gear driven full rotary hook machine kind of like the Singer 201. The screw above the Singer badge holds the motor on.
To me they're a neat design. They were Singer's first electric only sewing machine. Singer didn't make them very many years, I suspect due to manufacturing cost and it really didn't do anything better than Singer's other designs like the 66.
Rodney
I gave mine to my daughter. It makes a really pretty straight stitch.

Blackberry 08-24-2015 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz (Post 7295911)

Thank you so much for sending me this link for my manual. I searched the singer site but couldn't find one. You're terrific!!!

SewExtremeSeams 08-24-2015 10:51 AM

You have your work cut out for you. They are irresistible though.

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew (Post 7295863)
Looks like you got a nice compact little set up there. I know nothing about them but I wanted one for awhile too. Your "last" purchase?? LOLOL!

Forgive me for being a smarty pants but that is your last machine... until the next gem comes along!!

Ask me how I know.

sewbeadit 08-24-2015 05:53 PM

Is that the stitch length thingy on the bed with the numbers? Very interesting, I have never seen one to my knowledge. It looks like it will clean right up too, very good!

OurWorkbench 08-25-2015 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Blackberry (Post 7295852)
... I was really wanting a Singer 101. ... I badly need a manual because there are things on this machine that I am not familiar with. ... what is the big thing to the left of the spool pin ...Many questions.

I thought that it would be neat - about having the X01 series, but after reading about the 101 I decided I wouldn't actively pursue it. (Of course, if one passed my path really really cheap, I would probably 'snag' it.)

Looking through the singerco manual, I still can't figure out what the big thing next to the spool pin is. My guess would be to be able to get to the gears inside that area. There is also an older 1921 manual at http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...2682/index.htm Somewhere on the Smithsonian site there are five pages of thirty-six of the adjuster's manual for the 101, but can't find it now. Maybe put 1833 in place of the 2682 in the above link. They scanned the cover pages and so doesn't have really any useful information in what was scanned.

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams (Post 7296089)
..... but that is your last machine... until the next gem comes along!!

Ask me how I know.

RIGHT you are.... I thought that after I got my "Tiffany."

Sewbeadit - thank you, for guessing correctly about the stitch length dial. I wondered about that, too. Interestingly, when I looked at the PDF regarding that dial the manual states, "This disc is marked with arbitrary numbers, ranging from 6 to 30" and "(The numerals do not denote the number of stitches to the inch)"

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.