Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   A question about FMQ with a FW (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/question-about-fmq-fw-t202188.html)

nanna-up-north 10-03-2012 05:58 AM

A question about FMQ with a FW

1 Attachment(s)
I wasn't sure I would be able to quilt with my FW but using the alphasew walking foot was great. Now, I want to FMQ using this foot that came with the last FW I bought. I know I will have to put the plate over the feed dog area but I've never seen one of these feet attached to the FW and I would rather ask for help than do something that would damage the foot or make a mess of the quilt. I'm such a visual learner! What is the curly wire for? Does the thread go through that? Is there a demo on using this somewhere on Utube, etc? Help!! I really want this quilt to be 100% FW made so I need to figure out how to use this foot for the FMQ that this quilt needs.

thepolyparrot 10-03-2012 08:08 AM

The curly wire is just the spring that allows the stripper to pop up as the needlebar rises. No, you don't thread through it - just put it on like any other foot (and tighten it a bit with a screwdriver) :) Have fun!

nanna-up-north 10-03-2012 02:22 PM

Thank you, polyparrot. I will have to post a picture when I get this one done. It's turning out really cute.

oldtnquiltinglady 10-04-2012 07:24 AM

I would never quilt with my FWs; they are much too precious to injure to my way of thinking. However, I do have several old (or vintage) machines that I might try it with. I have a Gammill, so this is a moot point with me. But, if you do have an older machine with a regular type short shank like the FWs have, give one of them a try. The speed would ruin the FW; but I am not a fast sewer. I have a hard time sewing fast enough to satisfy my Gammill on stitch regulator mode. This is just a suggestion in passing to save a little FW. I love those little things; I have two that were given to me, one that was built in the year of my birth; and one that I paid $50 for a couple of years ago.

nanna-up-north 10-04-2012 09:21 AM

Thanks for the info OtnQL, but I don't plan on sewing fast. This quilt is a lap quilt so smaller than even a twin. I did a baby quilt on it last week with the walking foot and that was just fine. I do have a 99 and a 101 up here with me at my cabin that I bought this summer and haven't had a chance to work with yet. If I think there is a problem with my FW I'll switch to one of those and try to finish up things. I don't want to do anything that my FW wouldn't like. I have 3 and love them all. I just have one up here with me this summer..... and will be heading back to warmer weather in a few short weeks.

k9dancer 10-04-2012 08:24 PM

I FMQ on my FW all the time. I also teach quilting on one of these little beauties. I have been using a FW for FMQ for a very long time, and my machines are well maintained and in good health. My Machines prefer the darning feet that have the plastic bottoms. Also, I do not cover the feed dogs; I just set the stitch length at zero. I also loosen the pressure on the presser foot so the quilt can move easily.

johans 10-05-2012 01:40 AM

where in the UP? I'm between Munising & Manistique in Hiawatha Nat'l Forest.

knitsew 10-05-2012 07:24 AM

What in the world is a FW?

knitsew 10-05-2012 07:28 AM

Poking around I will assume it is a Featherweight but the foot in the picture completely escapes me?

greenini 10-05-2012 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by knitsew (Post 5563704)
Poking around I will assume it is a Featherweight but the foot in the picture completely escapes me?

yes, it is a Featherweight and that is a hopping or darning foot, can be used on any short shank machine.