Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   question about mismatched machine/treadle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/question-about-mismatched-machine-treadle-t211392.html)

DogHouseMom 01-19-2013 08:50 AM

question about mismatched machine/treadle

It just occurred to me that I might be doing something that can't be done.

Can any treadle machine be used with any treadle irons??

I purchased an old 66 red-eye some time ago, cabinet needed a lot of work (so did the machine). After that, I purchsed a 115 head without a cabinet figuring I already have a cabinet and treadle irons. My plan was to refinish the irons (done - sandblasted, repainted and reassembled) and to make a new top which will just be a flat top with a hole in it to fit the machine flush with the base and drop a coffin top over it. The hole in the top will be made to fit my 115.

Will the treadle irons from the 66 work with the 115??

Next question ... eventually we want the 66 set up as well, and we will do something similar by getting irons and building a cabinet around it. My husband is looking at irons for all different kinds of machines, not necessarily Singers. Will they work with the 66???

It hadn't occurred to me until now (I know ... dumb) that some of my plans might not work.

On another note ... I have a road trip tomorrow to pick up a new member for my developing family of vintage machines. Fortunately I don't have to do anything to this machine ... it runs, pristine condition (machine, cabinet and irons) and tons of extra goodies with it which I understand are hard to come by for an 1869 W&W #8!! I'm sew excited!! Will post pictures once's he's home :)

makitmama 01-19-2013 03:08 PM

I have swapped irons and machines around twice now. I had to be obsessive about the cabinet hinges, and about how the irons lined up with the machine- the belt needs to be vertical and not slanted. Once I got those two things taken care of I had no problem.

DogHouseMom 01-19-2013 05:52 PM

Thanks Makit

Neighmond 01-20-2013 12:39 AM

The 115 should drop right into a cabinet that a 66 came out of. The bed is the same size and the hinges line up.

lovelyl 01-20-2013 06:08 AM

Hi, Sue! You shouldn't have any problems putting the 115 into the 66 treadle cabinet. I have a 66 in the cabinet that your 115 (Gretel) came out of! I hope you enjoy her as much as I did before she moved in with you!

DogHouseMom 01-20-2013 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl (Post 5799165)
Hi, Sue! You shouldn't have any problems putting the 115 into the 66 treadle cabinet. I have a 66 in the cabinet that your 115 (Gretel) came out of! I hope you enjoy her as much as I did before she moved in with you!

Linda!! Thanks!! And yes indeed it is Gretel that I'm looking to FINALLY put into a base!! Thanks for the info. Will continue with plans as soon as hubby is finished with the top.

purplefiend 01-20-2013 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Doghousemom,
I have a mismatched set of irons and top. The top is from a Singer coffin top and the irons are Elgin, the pair work just fine together. I have 6 Singer treadle heads that I can put in this treadle cabinet.
The current resident of this cabinet is my 1914 Singer 115-1, we're making log cabin blocks. I just took the 66-1 red eye out and put the 115-1, no problem at all the bed is the same size and hinges line up just fine.
Sharon
Singers 66-1 red eye(2),15-90,115-1,201K,306W