Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Question about using aquarium tubing on treadle machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/question-about-using-aquarium-tubing-treadle-machines-t196554.html)

J Miller 08-04-2012 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5416381)
Joe, The plus to using the aquarium tubing is that it doesn't cost very much. You can make a longer coupler, that will work too.

Also, I notice on my Singer 224 that I'm using lots right now that I did have to shorten the tubing since it kept slipping off. With the temperature up in the 90s ( I have house temp set at 80), I notice the tubing stretching. I have tubing on the Two Spools, but I had already shortened months ago when the temperature was cooler.

Let me know if with lots of usage and warm temps if your tubing stretches.

I will let you know. I did notice something last night that I have to be careful of. I lowered the head of the machine so I could use the top of the treadle for something else. I know, I hate doing that but I have soooooo little room no flat surface goes unburried. When I opened up the machine the tubing had gotten kinked. Looked like it had been pinched between something sharp. I'll have to find out what that is and correct it.

I've also got a New Home Greyhound Mdl 30 that uses an off size belt. I can get belts too long and for the most part too short. The motor is adjusted to the smallest point it can be and the current belt is too tight.
So, I'm going to try a custom made tubing belt on it. This tubing is the same OD as the black rubber band belts everyone sells, so it should be doable. That is on tap for today. If it works I'll use it to piece some of my All Machine Quilt squares.

Joe

lovelyl 08-04-2012 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5413944)
There is at least two threads on here referring to using tubing as the drive belt for treadle machines.
My wife bought us some to try because every time I go to use one of my treadles the darn belt has stretched and the machine slips.

So, my question is this. How much short do you make the tubing to give it some tightness?

I don't know how much it will stretch so I'm asking first.
I've PM'd vintagemotif because I know she's done this, but if anyone else has done this I'd like to hear from them too.

Joe

I don't know much about treadles, but I was told to release the tension on the belt after each sewing session. This is supposed to keep the belt from stretching.

diamondee 08-04-2012 09:27 AM

A friend of ours got a treadle from her mother and she had a pair of pantyhose tied up for the belt. That was definitely the first time I have ever seen that. If it works on a fan belt on a car, I guess it could work on a treadle.

J Miller 08-04-2012 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by diamondee (Post 5417365)
A friend of ours got a treadle from her mother and she had a pair of pantyhose tied up for the belt. That was definitely the first time I have ever seen that. If it works on a fan belt on a car, I guess it could work on a treadle.

LOL .... I've read of using panty hose before, but I'm not that desperate. And nobody here wears the things.

Joe

carolynjo 08-04-2012 08:11 PM

Joe someone wrote that they used long leather shoestrings for a belt for their treadle. Maybe you can find that thread and read it.

J Miller 08-05-2012 04:24 AM

carolynjo,

I do remember reading that thread as well. I suppose there's a lot of ways to make treadle belts, but this time I was just experimenting with the tubing.

Joe

J Miller 08-05-2012 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5416681)
I will let you know. I did notice something last night that I have to be careful of. I lowered the head of the machine so I could use the top of the treadle for something else. I know, I hate doing that but I have soooooo little room no flat surface goes unburried. When I opened up the machine the tubing had gotten kinked. Looked like it had been pinched between something sharp. I'll have to find out what that is and correct it.

I've also got a New Home Greyhound Mdl 30 that uses an off size belt. I can get belts too long and for the most part too short. The motor is adjusted to the smallest point it can be and the current belt is too tight.
So, I'm going to try a custom made tubing belt on it. This tubing is the same OD as the black rubber band belts everyone sells, so it should be doable. That is on tap for today. If it works I'll use it to piece some of my All Machine Quilt squares.

Joe

REPORT:

The kink in the treadle tube belt had no effect on it. Once straightened out it worked fine. Sewed up some scraps and no slippage or problems.

I did make a tube belt for my Greyhound Mdl 30. That didn't work so well. At first it worked. Turned a bit slow and seemed to take a bit to get going. I let it sit for a while and found a few places that needed oil. When I went back to sewing the tube belt wouldn't turn. The motor pully just spun with no effect. It looked as if had stretched a bunch. I tried to work with it a bit but the connection wouldn't stay together. After a while I put a regular belt back on the machine and went on with my sewing.

Joe