Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   question about White Deluxs ZigZag Model FM-190 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/question-about-white-deluxs-zigzag-model-fm-190-a-t262233.html)

bearisgray 03-06-2015 11:55 AM

question about White Deluxs ZigZag Model FM-190

Is the "home" needle position supposed to be at the far left?

Or is there something wrong with it?

foufymaus 03-06-2015 02:47 PM

there are some machines out there where left homing is their default. yours might be one of them.

pennycandy 03-06-2015 10:30 PM

My White 2334 has a left homing needle. Many of the Japanese machines do.

miriam 03-07-2015 03:47 AM

Getting a Japanese zzer that doesn't left home is the trick. You can get a left home straight stitch foot from sew-classic.

bearisgray 03-07-2015 07:01 PM

I donated it. It does sew - I left evidence with the machine that it does. I do not want to deal with it any longer.
It did not occur to me to check out the machine before buying it from an acquaintance.. Lesson learned.

Thank you for the replies.

Irishrose2 03-07-2015 07:49 PM

My pretty Universal that looks just like a White is left homing, which is one of the reasons she's for sale. Do I tell potential buyers or let them find out for themselves?

bearisgray 03-07-2015 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 (Post 7119319)
My pretty Universal that looks just like a White is left homing, which is one of the reasons she's for sale. Do I tell potential buyers or let them find out for themselves?

Which would you prefer a seller do to/ for you?

SteveH 03-09-2015 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7119350)
Which would you prefer a seller do to/ for you?

I Agree 100%

Irishrose2 03-18-2015 06:12 PM

Whoa, I didn't mean any thing devious. I just wondered about explaining a left homing machine to anyone not familiar with these machines. People have sewn on them for years with no problem - my mother for one. I've used the Universal for some decorative stitches the Elna doesn't have. I don't think I'd like it for piecing, but for a non quilter, it'd be a great machine.

bearisgray 04-23-2015 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 (Post 7132577)
Whoa, I didn't mean any thing devious. I just wondered about explaining a left homing machine to anyone not familiar with these machines. People have sewn on them for years with no problem - my mother for one. I've used the Universal for some decorative stitches the Elna doesn't have. I don't think I'd like it for piecing, but for a non quilter, it'd be a great machine.

I would have liked to have known - I did not even know that machines came that way!

I should have tried it before buying it - but the seller was an acquaintance - so it did not occur to me to check it out.