Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Question on refinishing FW card table. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/question-refinishing-fw-card-table-t218135.html)

novicequiltergrandma 04-03-2013 05:47 AM

Question on refinishing FW card table.

I was lucky enough to inherit my mother's FW complete with the card table. Unfortunately, the table top is damaged and warped and the metal trim needs repainting. I don't want to destroy the value of the table as a "collectible", but the table is not very usable as it is. It would be easier to just replace the wood top, but will that destroy the value if I ever wanted to sell the machine and table as a set? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

DogHouseMom 04-03-2013 12:27 PM

This is just my own opinion ....

... The only items (machine or cabinet) I would not dare to refinish are pieces that are very rare (meaning less than 100 survived) or have historical value. A Featherweight table is neither. If the item is going to live in my house and be displayed in my house, I want it to look pretty. Almost all of my cabinets are going to undergo a degree of restoration/refinishing (stripping varnish on wood, replacing veneers, sand blasting irons and re-painting, re-plating metals, replacing screws, re-upholstering stool bench seat).

I do not own any machine or cabinet that cannot be found within 6 months (or less) of searching. Singer FW tables ... I think there are 4-5 on E-Bay as we speak.

Edited to add ... the other factor is that you say that it's current condition renders it useless as a sewing table. To me, an item that cannot function in it's intended form has no value.

So if it were me and I wanted a FW with a table that I could use ... I would do the necessary repairwok to the table.

quilt addict 04-03-2013 01:02 PM

I agree with Sue. The work I would do would be to make it "look" close to original but that is just me. That is the same colors, wood, stain as the original.

SteveH 04-03-2013 01:03 PM

x2 I agree completely with DHM

novicequiltergrandma 04-03-2013 09:36 PM

Thanks. You have confirmed what I was thinking....which is to get it looking nice and functioning. I appreciate all your input.

Pat M. 04-04-2013 11:55 AM

I paid $20 for my FW table. It was a mess. I took it completely apart. Sanded it, used a lot of wood puddy, sanded it again. Put a stain on it, and then a clear varnish. The legs had to be sanded and oiled in the folding parts, then I spray painted it. A few days later I put it all together and it is great. I also put rubber feet on the legs. I later made a canvas bag to store it in w/outside pockets for rulers, etc.

Pat M. 04-04-2013 12:02 PM

I paid $20 for my FW table. It was a mess. I took it completely apart. Sanded it, used a lot of wood puddy, sanded it again. Put a stain on it, and then a clear varnish. The legs had to be sanded and oiled in the folding parts, then I spray painted it. A few days later I put it all together and it is great. I also put rubber feet on the legs. I later made a canvas bag to store it in w/outside pockets for rulers, etc.

quiltingcandy 04-04-2013 12:13 PM

Out of curiosity I checked what was on ebay and was amazed there were no bids on any of them. People really are pricing themselves out of the market or they really don't want to sell them. I would like to have one - not sure why since I really have no place to put it - but they are nice. Someone was selling a matching black extension table which looked really cool too - that would be more sensible for my needs. So may need to think about it.

w7sue 04-05-2013 03:18 PM

I got mine off craigslist last year for $100 --- it is beautiful and I am anxious to have a spot to set it up soon --- I want to install one of my FW's in it so it can be used at a moments notice. If you want one, keep looking because the perfect one will show up when you least expect it.

tenngal 04-06-2013 03:56 PM

I just wish I could afford one!