Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   questions about rewire for a 15-91 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/questions-about-rewire-15-91-a-t241569.html)

nanna-up-north 02-20-2014 06:20 AM

questions about rewire for a 15-91

I'm ready to start replacing the old wire on my 15-91 and I have a few questions. The new wire has printing on one side and I assume that is the (+) side. But the old wire doesn't have anything to help me decide about the positive and negative side. The plug is the old type where the prongs are the same width.

I got a wiring diagram from sew-classic but it doesn't show + and - either. So, can someone help me with a diagram showing + and - for wiring this 15-91. I do plan on removing the old wire and replacing the new wire one wire at a time. I just don't want to hook it up wrong and burn out my motor or something. I'm thinking that + and - does matter for the motor and the light even though the foot controller is just a switch and doesn't matter. Thanks to Joe, I learned that.

I'm still a little nervous about electricity..... very high respect for it but if I don't know what I'm doing...... ??? Fireworks are pretty but not when it's my sewing machine.... if you know what I mean.

J Miller 02-20-2014 07:53 AM

Jean,

Are you going to rewire the motor, the connector block, just replace the cords, or all of them?

The motor has red and black wires inside, I matched that when I did mine.
The connector block is color coded. Basically just match the new to the old.
The cord sets are already wired, just attach the controller, it's not polarized.

Here is two places to read:
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t205360.html }
{ http://vssmb.blogspot.com/search/label/rewiring }

Sometimes the side of the wire with the printing is the + side. Sometimes the wire has ribs on it as well. It drives me crazy trying to figure it out cos there seems to be no hard and fast rule of which method of marking means what.

Joe

oldsewnsew 02-20-2014 09:01 AM

technically, the motor type is ac/dc and its windings are not polarized. AC plugs weren't polarized then either. The color markings are to aid in assy. Neither leg should be making any contact with metal you can check your work when fone by having it unplugged from the wall, use a continuity checker and verify there is continuity through the motor wirin but none from either leg to the metal housing.

nanna-up-north 02-20-2014 09:03 AM

Thanks, Joe. I'm just going to replace the wire. I took the machine out of the cabinet and marked the ends of the wires.... which go to 1 which go to 2, etc. The old wire started crumbling and exposing the wire.... that means it needs to be replaced. So, I'll read what you suggest and get back with you. We're having a pretty bad storm going through right now so we may loose power. I sure hope not but I may be able to check things out.... I may not. I do have the 'puter unplugged right now. I don't want to fry the 'puter.

nanna-up-north 02-20-2014 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew (Post 6586022)
Neither leg should be making any contact with metal you can check your work when fone by having it unplugged from the wall, use a continuity checker and verify there is continuity through the motor wirin but none from either leg to the metal housing.

Thanks OSS. I do have a continuity tester. So, if I understand you correctly, if I've wired it correctly, I should get conductivity when I touch the wire going to and from the motor, to and from the foot controller and to and from the light. Is that correct?

Basically, if I follow the wires that are there and assign the 1st one as positive I should be okay, correct? I just need to be careful which # on the 3-pt plug is to be + and which is to be -. But if I assign the 1st one to be negative, that's okay, too? ... as long as I keep track of the +'s and -'s to assign to the other points?

oldsewnsew 02-20-2014 09:48 AM

youll get continuity thru the motor. the contoller may not show continuity until its almost fully depressed. The lite wiring will show cont only with a good bulb and the switch on. And it may not be 0 resistance because the bulb filament has a small amount of tesistance. I test my reworked motors by leaving their cord long putting a temp plug on them do I can check them with an old style line wiring receptacle block. Also helps to plug into a gfci outlet even tho its not a grounded 3 prong plug, because theyLl trip faster

oldsewnsew 02-20-2014 09:51 AM

not to worry you needlessly, but you are safer to plug it in with your left hand in your pocket so as to not provide a return path thru your body.

nanna-up-north 02-20-2014 11:07 AM

What about your feet on the ground?? Okay, I totally understand the left hand in the pocket..... scary.... I know just enough to make me dangerous.

oldsewnsew 02-20-2014 11:10 AM

rubber soled shoes, dry floor.

KLO 02-20-2014 11:18 AM

I need to keep track of this thread because I think my new-to-me 15-91 needs some electrical work too. Thanks for all the info. even though I was not the first to ask.