Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Quick - Over $100 - should I buy another Free? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/quick-over-%24100-should-i-buy-another-free-t239741.html)

Champanier 01-27-2014 09:42 AM

Quick - Over $100 - should I buy another Free?

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]458906[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]458905[/ATTACH]We're leaving in two hours to go see a Free (maybe Model C - it looks just like the sad one I have) that is on CL for over $100. I've never spent more than $50, so this is a big decision. But it would give me a real model to use when trying to fix the rusted one I have, plus it looks so pretty...I'll have to see in person, but the head looks pretty good in the photos.
I do have a good assortment of attachments that I got with the other Free.
The downside is that the pretty cabinet is refinished, not restored, so the cool measuring tape stencil is gone.
I asked if the shuttle is there and the owner didn't know - she only used it as furniture. I live in upstate NY, if that helps judge whether it's a reasonable price.
I believe the adage that things are worth what you're willing to pay, but also don't want to spend this much if it's really outrageous.
Thanks very much for your opinions!

quiltingcandy 01-27-2014 09:47 AM

It looks very good to me. The price is excellent for my area with such a pretty machine. If you get there and it doesn't work, you may change your mind, but it is definitely worth a look for that price.

tessagin 01-27-2014 09:48 AM

I'm not an expert but when you get there you'll know. For the machine and the cabinet, I would pay $100.00 only after looking it all over really well. I would still ask if they had any other items that go with it. You also may still be able to get them down a little. Always worth a shot. Good Luck!

jlhmnj 01-27-2014 09:58 AM

I don't think $100 is outrageous---go get it if you like it and you can always try to bargain. The Free Rotoscillo machines are not complicated so I don't understand using it as a "real model" to fix the rusted one. Singer shuttles can be used. If your other Free came with a usable treadle I'd be reluctant myself to buy another. Good Luck.

Jon

mighty 01-27-2014 10:09 AM

Looks like a nice machine.

Macybaby 01-27-2014 11:17 AM

I would not have a problem paying over $100 for a machine and cabinet that I wanted - but not if it was coated with polyurethane. I hate that on antique furniture, but that is just me.

Free takes the same shuttle and needles as Singer -so it's not a big consideration if they aren't there, but worth knocking $10 off if you want to go that route.

The main thing about what you pay - if it means you can't feed your kids or pay your electricity bill, then you should probably pass. If it means you may have to forgo eating out for a while, or cut back on personal treats - then why not? I'd rather buy another sewing machine than have a fancy restaurant meal any day!

Champanier 01-27-2014 11:47 AM

Jon, I was talking about using it as model for the decals, since the finish and decoration is really just crumbling off the other one I bought.
And, Cathy, the kids are grown, but the taxes are due...I admire your practical approach! And the polyurethane is a concern.
Thanks, everyone!

Carol34446 01-28-2014 12:41 PM

Wondering if you got it.

vmaniqui 01-28-2014 12:57 PM

Yes. Champanier- did you get it?