Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Quilting in a Featherweight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/quilting-featherweight-t316706.html)

Nesie 10-26-2021 03:29 PM

Quilting in a Featherweight

I am ready to quilt a small table runner on my Featherweight. The stitches on my machine are usually perfect. I made up two samples using both 100% cotton and polyester. The stitches on the samples are perfect. When I started to quilt the runner, the stitches are not as even and seem smaller, which can only mean the weight of the runner is affecting the stitches. (It’s made up of 2 in squares).
My questions are as follows:How many of you quilt on your Featherweight and do you use an extension table? Do you use specific batting’s? I’m assuming since the samples are great it’s not the thread. (I’m using Aurifil on a horizontal spool pin)

thimblebug6000 10-26-2021 07:25 PM

In answer to your question, I have never quilted on my FW only pieced.

NJ Quilter 10-27-2021 02:48 AM

I've never quilted on my FW either but I agree that this issue is probably one of 'drag' on your table runner. I'm guessing you don't have a FW table. If you have some old styrofoam packing material you could place that around the front/back/side of your machine to get a more level surface which might help...at least short term.

Nesie 10-27-2021 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 8515981)
I've never quilted on my FW either but I agree that this issue is probably one of 'drag' on your table runner. I'm guessing you don't have a FW table. If you have some old styrofoam packing material you could place that around the front/back/side of your machine to get a more level surface which might help...at least short term.

You are 100% correct.I do not have the extension table yet. I have seen others quilt small projects on a Featherweight but don't recall if they had the extension table.
​​​​​​I wanted to be able to do these projects at my sewing group but I think I will have to consider the table. My other machines are just too heavy to lug and I love sewing on the Featherweight. I honestly didn't think it would matter as much with a small project but apparently it does!I
Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

Tartan 10-27-2021 05:50 AM

I only have pieced on mine. It may be drag due to the feed dogs are not grabbing and moving the runner. With another old Singer ( not my featherweight) I cut a little cereal box cardboard gasket to go under the feed dogs to raise them up for a little more grab. Look to see if this would be an easy fix on your featherweight. You can also clean your feedogs to see if they are gummed up.

Karamarie 10-27-2021 06:07 AM

Will follow this post as I have never done anything other than just straight sewing but would like to do FMQ if it is possible. It is the machine I take to sewing days and retreats. It is such a little sweetheart, I love it.https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/smile.png

OurWorkbench 10-27-2021 06:19 AM

Do you have a walking foot for your machine? From my understanding one needs to be careful which walking foot as you need one for straight stitches only.

I'm wondering if increasing the pressure, or decreasing the pressure would help. Maybe increase the stitch length? You said samples were made, but were you using the same batting or just fabric?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

FoggyButFocused 10-27-2021 07:06 AM

I haven't used my Featherweight to quilt, but I have used it to topstitch bowl cozies, which is probably the same thickness as your quilt. I increased the stitch length considerably and it worked fine. I did have to use a folded up piece of fabric to make it over some of the seams (like the dart), but other than that, the Featherweight worked like a champ.

Use a practice quilt sandwich to find the right stitch length. Let us know how it goes! Gotta love the Featherweight!

sewingpup 10-27-2021 07:18 AM

I am assuming you are quilting by using the feed dogs not just free motion quilting. I agree with the others, that it is very difficult to do quilting without any machine having a large table, or better yet, a set in cabinet to allow the quilt to move more smoothly and not get hung up on edges of things. The other thing that comes to mind is that my tech told when a machine has been used a lot, the little edges of the feed dogs themselves can become round allowing the fabric to slip around more. He said he has replaced some of the feed dogs on heavily used machines. Just a thought.

juliasb 10-27-2021 10:57 AM

I quilt with my FW but only do QAYG so I am always working with smaller units even when stitching one unit to another.