Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Quilting Foot Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/quilting-foot-question-t308118.html)

ebell 11-19-2019 03:55 AM

Quilting Foot Question

Newbie Post: I have just started free motion quilting and ruler foot quilting. I collect vintage machines, so have a few I'd like to try. So far I have not been too successful with my Singer 15-125. I have had more success with my Singer 201-2, but would also like to try my Singer 15-91. There is a foot made specifically for the Singer 15-91, so does it matter which foot I use? I am finding that the ruler foot, which fits my modern machine, does not leave enough space underneath for easy movement of the quilt on a vintage machine. I have seen that there are feet made especially for particular models, so my question is this: other than looking for the shank height, high, medium, low, or slant, does it matter if you don't get the specific foot for that machine? I would love to hear what others use and why one foot is better than another.

WIChix 11-19-2019 05:03 AM

Both the 201 and the 15 (and the 66) are standard low shank machines. The specialty foot for the 15 should work fine on any low shank machine.
The 15-125 is the 15-91 in a different coat. Not that there aren't differences between machines of the same model, there definitely are. It would be interesting to know if those differences are primarily due to one having been a well used and maintained vsm.
For advancing that quilt sandwich under the foot, try a Davis Vertical Feed treadle. It has a high/low lever for thickness of material under the foot.

ebell 11-19-2019 05:30 AM

I am wondering the same thing about the 15-125 and 15-91 as I was aware, too, that they have the same inner workings. The top thread on the 15-125 ravels at the needle after a few minutes, so it could be something wrong with it. I did check the tension before starting, and it makes a lovely stitch when in regular sewing mode. Could be user error. :) I haven't heard of the Davis Vertical Feed treadle. I will look into it. Thank you.

leonf 11-19-2019 06:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome ebell Have you replaced the needle? One burr can tear stuff up.

Bad pic, but it is a Davis VF. Note the absence of feed dogs.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619900[/ATTACH]

quiltedsunshine 11-19-2019 04:40 PM

Hi Ebell,

I've just taught a ruler work class this morning. We had a few different machines in the class. And some of the students bought ruler feet off ebay, and we couldn't get them to work. They were supposed to be "low shank," but when we compared them with the Westalee "low shank," they were definitely taller, and squoze the fabric, too tight.

In another class, we had a student with a ruler foot that was chromed plastic. It, too was too high. So we went to grind it down a bit, which is when we discovered that it was plastic. Yikes!

It really is worth getting the Westalee foot. They're $48 and come with the 12" arc ruler. But you get a good quality foot, and it will work like you want.

I've found that polyester thread behaves better than cotton thread when doing free-motion or ruler work. Probably because it has some stretch, and cotton doesn't.

ebell 11-20-2019 04:38 AM

Thank you so much. I have looked into the Westalee foot. It is good to hear that it does function well. I haven't seen too many reviews out there on it. I was concerned about spending that amount if it was going to be like some of the others that I already have, that don't work well. I will need to decide which machine is going to be my main FMQ machine before I make the purchase. I am deciding between my 301, 201-2, and 15-91. If I choose the 301, then I will need the slant shank. I am still learning about FMQ, so I am trying to make the best choice. Your information about the thread is also noteworthy. I have a lot to think about and a lot of practicing to do. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

ebell 11-20-2019 04:39 AM

Thank you for sharing.

quiltedsunshine 11-22-2019 07:06 PM

One more thought. It makes a big difference which non-slip pad you stick onto the back of the rulers. I put Handi-Grip on mine, and there is 99% no slippage.

ebell 12-02-2019 10:45 AM

Thank you.

PatriciaPf 12-02-2019 06:26 PM

For what it's worth, I have read many times that the 15-91 is preferred for FMQ because it has an oscillating hook and the thread flows beautifully from the bobbin without obstruction. This is not the case with the 201-2 in which the thread must make a 90 degree turn from the bobbin to form a stitch. The 301 requires a special darning-type foot and, if I am not mistaken, it must be used after one of the thread guides is removed as it will interfere with the foot otherwise.