Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Quilts made using vintage machines! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/quilts-made-using-vintage-machines-t134918.html)

Crossstitcher 11-18-2011 06:05 AM

The design is called "carpenters star". I got the idea from Irish Rose here on the board.

Trish

valleyquiltermo 11-19-2011 09:37 AM

Great Niece and Nephew's first quilts

2 Attachment(s)
My Niece and her family where down from Flordia for deer season.
My DGNiece wanted to make a quilt, she is 16 and has sewed a lil bit when she was about 8.
She sewed the top on a Singer white/tint green 1964 Featherweight. Then she quilted it on my Singer 15-16. Her first quilt.
Then my 12 yr old DGNephew decided he wanted to make one also. So while DGNiece was quilting hers he started his on the 64 FW, he managed to get the top done and the sandwich made before they left so I'll quilt it for him. I gave them the 1964 FW to take home and some more projects and books and tools of the trade.
They both did a fine job on them and I had bought a lg flat rate box of 4' sq's from a lady on the board so they picked from that the prints and then choose the solid and borders and backing they wanted.

So here are the pictures. I'm so proud of them.

vintagemotif 11-19-2011 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo (Post 4698202)
My Niece and her family where down from Flordia for deer season.
My DGNiece wanted to make a quilt, she is 16 and has sewed a lil bit when she was about 8.
She sewed the top on a Singer white/tint green 1964 Featherweight. Then she quilted it on my Singer 15-16. Her first quilt.
Then my 12 yr old DGNephew decided he wanted to make one also. So while DGNiece was quilting hers he started his on the 64 FW, he managed to get the top done and the sandwich made before they left so I'll quilt it for him. I gave them the 1964 FW to take home and some more projects and books and tools of the trade.
They both did a fine job on them and I had bought a lg flat rate box of 4' sq's from a lady on the board so they picked from that the prints and then choose the solid and borders and backing they wanted.

So here are the pictures. I'm so proud of them.

Awesome! That they made their own quilts with vintage machines!!! They did an excellent job! I love that you gave them the one FW for them to make more quilts. They should also looked for a larger vintage Singer off CL to use for their quilting. Looking forward to seeing other quilts that they make.

Surfergirl 11-19-2011 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by tate_elliott (Post 4666917)
Hi, folks, I'm new on here. I've sewn for a while, but just recently started doing quilts. I guess it's my wife's fault - I saw all the quilts she was making, so I decided to see what I could do. The three I've done have all been some form of a self-quilted quilt. The first was a twin-size rag quilt for a friend of mine's daughter - she graduated from high school and was about to go off to college. The next was the mock cathedral windows baby quilt - at least I think that's what it is called, I think that style has no specific name. It would have looked better if I had used just one pattern for the backing/framing fabric. Finally, a flannel rainbow baby quilt made in the manner of "Fun and Done" although with smaller blocks.

These were all done on my Rocketeer. I just got her about eight months ago. The Rocketeer, cabinet, manual, cams, and extra feet were $100 from a woman on Craigslist. She inherited the machine, but didn't sew.

My plan, after all the errors in my first quilt, was to dazzle people's eyes so they couldn't look closely enough to see all the mistakes in the two baby quilts.

You did a wonderful job on your quilts! I also love the Rocketeer...I have 2 of the 500's.

valleyquiltermo 11-19-2011 10:02 AM

Vintagemotif, They will be coming this summer for a few weeks I should have them a singer for quilting by then, LOL
I will post thier other quilts as they make them, They where so proud of themselves.
Thanks, Donna

valleyquiltermo 11-19-2011 10:04 AM

Wonderful quilts love them. Like the first one the best.

miriam 11-19-2011 10:19 AM

do the 9-patch
cut into four squares (DP9)
Take a plain square the same size and make how ever you like on the diagonal.
put new plain squares on top of the cut up 4 squares
Sew nest to the diagonal mark on each side of the mark 1/4 in.
Cut right down the diagonal mark of each square
You should have a total of 8 squares?
I think you can make the little square the place to start or not - it would be up to you.
I believe I would want them all the same no matter what.
It seems like it would be fancy without a lot of work.
I wonder if it would have to be squared up later?

valleyquiltermo 11-19-2011 04:34 PM

Your quilts are wonderful, I also have a singer 15 love it.

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 4662291)
Deedum, I love your quilts!

Muv 11-19-2011 04:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quiltgal - love the big flower! Vintagemotif - love the scrappy Jacob's ladder!

Here's a doll quilt that I made for the November swap. Pieced on my Frister and Rossmann transverse shuttle, hand quilted, and binding done on my 99K - both hand machines. I've done two doll quilts this month, but I can't post a picture of the second one until my partner receives it.

valleyquiltermo 11-19-2011 06:04 PM

Oh my Goodness I have just made it through all the pages and what talented ladies & gents you all are. All the quilts are wonderful and all on vintage machines. I love them all.