Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Quilts made using vintage machines! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/quilts-made-using-vintage-machines-t134918.html)

cherrybsixty 07-06-2011 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
Monica,here is a pic of one that my Mom pieced with the 401A and she hand quilted.

OMG! That's beautiful! My grandmother loved to do cross stitching on her quilts, and she would make pillow cases.
That is a very pretty quilt!

When my Mom crossed-over, we found over 60 pairs of her hand embroideried pillow slips. I shared some with her BF's and shared some with my late sister and I still have maybe twenty to twenty-five pairs.

Charlee 07-06-2011 09:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found this pillowcase in my mom's things, I remember her embroidering it back in the 70's. I made it into a doll for my niece, since it was the only one of this pair that I found. Stitched it on my 1956 Featherweight.

newborn 07-06-2011 10:51 PM

All these quilts are just lovely and your machines too.

vintagemotif 07-06-2011 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
I found this pillowcase in my mom's things, I remember her embroidering it back in the 70's. I made it into a doll for my niece, since it was the only one of this pair that I found. Stitched it on my 1956 Featherweight.

That is a clever way to pass the pillowcase on to other members in the family by making it into a doll. It could be given as a first birthday gift, a special heirloom. I do hope you signed and dated somewhere on the doll; plus, that you added information as to the fact that the pillowcase was made by your mother and that you made it into the doll.

vintagemotif 07-06-2011 11:03 PM

Monica,here is a pic of one that my Mom pieced with the 401A and she hand quilted.

OMG! That's beautiful! My grandmother loved to do cross stitching on her quilts, and she would make pillow cases.
That is a very pretty quilt!

When my Mom crossed-over, we found over 60 pairs of her hand embroideried pillow slips. I shared some with her BF's and shared some with my late sister and I still have maybe twenty to twenty-five pairs.

I like that quilt as your new avatar! Very pretty!

Charlee 07-07-2011 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee

That is a clever way to pass the pillowcase on to other members in the family by making it into a doll. It could be given as a first birthday gift, a special heirloom. I do hope you signed and dated somewhere on the doll; plus, that you added information as to the fact that the pillowcase was made by your mother and that you made it into the doll.

:) I did mark the doll's back, "Embroidered by, Sewn by, and For"....
I missed her call when she picked it up, but she was crying..it was so sweet!

HisPatchwork 07-07-2011 07:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I made the quilt top in my avatar on my Singer, manufactured in 1919. I wanted to get used to treadling. My DGD age 10 is making a disappearing 9 patch on the treadle. I will post that when she gets done. The next picture is a mug rug made on my SERATA hand crank. I am using it to piece a mystery quilt that I am working on too. My DGD age 3 likes turning the hand crank and doing her sewing on it. She wants to turn it for me when I sew with it when she is here.

1919 Singer treadle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]222344[/ATTACH]

SERATA hand crank
[ATTACH=CONFIG]222345[/ATTACH]

mug rug made on SERATA
[ATTACH=CONFIG]222346[/ATTACH]

HisPatchwork 07-07-2011 08:02 AM

Charlee, what a wonderful idea to use those embroidered pillowcases!

vintagemotif 07-07-2011 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
I made the quilt top in my avatar on my Singer, manufactured in 1919. I wanted to get used to treadling. My DGD age 10 is making a disappearing 9 patch on the treadle. I will post that when she gets done. The next picture is a mug rug made on my SERATA hand crank. I am using it to piece a mystery quilt that I am working on too. My DGD age 3 likes turning the hand crank and doing her sewing on it. She wants to turn it for me when I sew with it when she is here.

Starting out like you did by just making a strip quilt and then just running straight stitch quilting is the easiest way to get use to treadling and quilting. I like the quilt that you made, very pretty. I think it is wonderful that your children are also taking an interest in using the treadles! Your Serata looks to be in excellent condition, beautiful machine. Please post photos of your daughter's finished disappearing nine patch quilt.

Annaquilts 07-07-2011 09:08 PM

thanks! That is a great idea. I think I need to make a strip quilt or atleast sew strips recut and sew more strips to practice on my treadle.