Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Ran out of money on the way to the antique show (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/ran-out-money-way-antique-show-t217764.html)

SHELTIE'SMAMA 03-30-2013 06:09 AM

The sewing gods were in your corner yesterday -- that's quite the single trip haul. Enjoy!

mo-rie 03-30-2013 06:40 AM

Wow, you did great! Have fun with your new toys!

oldtnquiltinglady 03-30-2013 07:36 AM

I am going to look up what the moon signs were in when you went out; then I'll be looking for a show of this type. I do LOVE to find awesome deals like this; and so does my husband. You only spent about $100 that whole weekend, huh?????

ArchaicArcane 03-30-2013 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do (Post 5964665)
That table looks a lot sturdier than my Joann's one. Nice job!

I think it is. It's got 4 chairs hiding in the middle of it, and the wood trim is actual wood, not pressboard like the ones I see in the fabric store here.

Originally Posted by sweetpea (Post 5964780)
Who need s the antique show? great finds.

no kidding, eh? I was humming and hawwing as to whether I wanted to go, because it costs $30 for us to just walk in the door. (parking and admission) This was a way better expenditure of money.

Originally Posted by janiesews (Post 5964836)
You got awesome things! Be sure to check around the bobbin area for threads. When I got one of my 301-A's, it had several threads that were caught and keeping it from going properly. Now she sews like a dream. Enjoy your goodies!

This one was surprisingly free of threads. I found one that easily tugged out. The motor pulley was seized. It's the second one I've found seized in a week. Once that started moving, I got oil and grease in all the requisite spots and it was turning perfectly. :) Basically, 10 minutes spent to make sure it works, now comes the cleaning and adjusting.

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5965039)
Is that a Bernina 730 and what's wrong with it?

You got a whopper of a bargain at that sale.

Joe

Good Eye, Joe! Yes, it's a 730. So far here's what I've found:
  • Broken Cam gear - available for about $30, unsure about the labour.
  • Needs a lower belt
  • motor seems sluggish, I put "new" brushes in it to test, and it's fine without load, but any bit of load and it stops.
  • the machine was completely seized up, not a smidge of movement when we got it. Then the handwheel started turning, but nothing else (neither shaft, no play at all), then a little more oil and it started turning... it's hard to rurn right now, tighter than I'd expect a motor to turn it.
  • The needle position mechanism is chipped (the part the user doesn't see), it may be OK, but it may be a problem if it slips once the pin that selects the position unsticks.

The part that makes me crazy is there's one shop in the city I keep hearing about bad tuneups. She took it to them because it was running slowly and not sewing well a couple of years ago. The brushes were nubs. She said when it came back it was still too slow, but it sewed.... its so seized right now, I doubt they did much, barely oiled it, there's practically no residue. This one's going to be a lot of work, and that's IF I can get it going. She was going to take it back to them and give it to them for parts. She said I could have it instead. :) She wanted to buy a new machine that just worked, so I'm going to take a machine I have here that's tuned up and read to go and give it to her, regardless of whether I get this one working or not.

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady (Post 5965337)
I am going to look up what the moon signs were in when you went out; then I'll be looking for a show of this type. I do LOVE to find awesome deals like this; and so does my husband. You only spent about $100 that whole weekend, huh?????

No kidding!! Let me know what they were too? That way I can plan my next outing :)
Total spent yesterday was $51. There's a LOT of elbow grease needed on all of this stuff though.

craftygal63 03-30-2013 08:50 AM

WoW! You hit the Jack-pot today! Awesome!

tessagin 03-30-2013 08:50 AM

Some things are/not meant to be. Looks like you made out like a fat rat. LOL! Gives me an idea. I know someone wanting to sell their folding table. Need to call them now. Thanks!

Candace 03-30-2013 10:00 AM

Awesome haul. I imagine the 730 had a cracked nylon gear? My 830 came with one. But, these machines are worth the parts and repairing.

Quilt Novice 03-30-2013 10:13 AM

Lucky you!!!!!

J Miller 03-30-2013 12:43 PM

Tammi,

That's too bad about the Bernina. Sounds like some one just beat the stuffings out of it.

Joe

Candace 03-30-2013 01:13 PM

The cam stack gear will cost you $100 plus the part to replace (at least around here that's the price). I did it myself, but it's not an easy fix. The cam gear crack will make it hard to turn.