Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Is this a real Singer? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/real-singer-t200493.html)

quiltingweb 09-14-2012 05:23 PM

Is this a real Singer?

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]362779[/ATTACH]It's really cute, it's very clean, no grease, no dust, no lint. No scratches...is it even a real Singer? It has a shuttle bobbin, the cord, light and foot peddle are perfect....I tried to look up the serial number and it gave me a date of 1873....not possible. Are there machines that are refurbished and re-sold?

oregongirl 09-14-2012 05:30 PM

i think during ww2 there were machines made without much decoration and with a rough finish - people have nicknamed them Godzilla or Gorilla, or something like that. resources were limited and the machines reflected that. i've seen a number of pics of Singers that look similar to this, but i'm new to this so perhaps i'm wrong. i don't know, but i think it looks like a Singer.

what was the serial number and is it clear to see?

Charlee 09-14-2012 06:12 PM

Re check the serial...this machine has blackside plates, and that tells us that it was made in the mid to late 40's... (not much chrome or nickle around during WW2... :)

J Miller 09-14-2012 06:16 PM

It is a Singer. A factory or authorized factory dealer refurb or so I've been told. Done during and after WW II. I have two 66s done like that.
I don't know these older shuttle bobbin Singers well enough to tell the model # with out the serial number.

Joe

Charlee 09-14-2012 06:27 PM

It's a 128 :)

Candace 09-14-2012 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5515060)
It's a 128 :)

Yup, mine looks just like it.

irishrose 09-14-2012 08:29 PM

It's a twin to my 1956 128, except mine has no rust around the serial number and I have more blackside fittings like the tension disks. I like the name, "Baby Singer." Do you have the bentwood case?

quiltingweb 09-14-2012 08:51 PM

Yes, I have the case. I think there's a date, or it looks like it could be a date on the motor that says AU52...I was thinking August 52? The case is in good condition. It's the same size as my little 99, but with the shuttle instead of the round bobbin. There is a tiny bit of lint, other than that...it doesn't even look like it's been used. Yes, I agree, a 128...I went back through the machine shop photos thread and found a couple. It's a cute little thing.

There is one little problem...something whacky with the wheel. It won't fully engage, so if I want to make it sew, I have to turn the inner disk, the handwheel slips. Also, the belt from the motor seems loose and it slips in the groove. I know there must be some way to adjust that, but I haven't figured it out yet.

The serial number looks like it was ground down and re-stamped. From what I can read, I think it says 1349941. There could be another something stamped ahead of the 1, but I can't tell if it's a stamp. Could be another 1 or something similar.

DanofNJ 09-15-2012 06:04 AM

Really nice machine!

J Miller 09-15-2012 06:39 AM

To get the hand wheel clutch to engage you need to remove the center knob, the clutch washer and the hand wheel. Clean everything. Put a drop of oil on the shaft, then put the hand wheel back on, the little clutch washer with the center prongs facing out, then the center knob. If the wheel won't tighten down, remove the center knob and rotate the clutch washer 180° then reinstall it.

My LSMG has a original 1921 vintage 128 and it has that triangular cover over the thread take up lever screw. This one doesn't. That is what had me stymied. Apparently they discontinued that at some point.

Joe