Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Recommendations for an 11 year old (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/recommendations-11-year-old-t269496.html)

SteveH 09-02-2015 07:31 AM

Not wanting to throw too much of a wrench in here, but I gave my daughter a Singer 99 and a Riccar ZZ machine to learn on. She loved them, but once she used a handcrank she sold the others and bought more fabric... She has made a TON of projects on it and says it is way "cooler" and easier than the electric. our .02

SewExtremeSeams 09-02-2015 08:21 AM

My 2 cents worth... My 7 year old DGD loves sewing on my 301. I have another vintage marked for her when she turns 10 but I am considering giving her the 301 on that date.

My 9 year old DGS enjoys sewing on the 401 that will be his next year. He has been sewing on it for two years. Since I repaired the boat canvas for our boat 2 years ago I know it is a workhorse and will last for him long into his future.

I also agree that the 66 and 99 are nice for children.

It will be so fun for you to see what she will make with her birthday present.

Quincunx 09-02-2015 08:42 AM

It has to be portable because she is a two-house kid? Some of the Maruzen Kenmores are aluminum body and a little easier for me to sling around than I had expected. And I am small and short.

I learned on a Singer Touch & Sew 600E and yes I spent a lot of time playing with the cams and built in cam stacks. (And making and cutting out thread jams, because...Touch & Sew.)

But then you have this wealth of experience and machines that was not there when we were growing up. Maybe give her the Kenmore 1303 now (and talk someone else into giving her wheeled luggage for a case, too) and say she still can use another if she needs to do something that machine cannot. Maybe she will claim the simple machine as her own. Maybe she will fall in love with cams and you can agree to 'trade' machines later and find her one with cams. Or she picks out one in all blue, or a hand crank, or whatever.

Rodney 09-02-2015 09:04 AM

I agree that a 99 with a hand crank is a good option. Kids (adults too) love sewing on hand cranks. The 99 also has the advantage of using cheap and common class 66 bobbins, low shank attachments, and 15x1 needles so there's no hunting for obsolete or proprietary feet, needles and bobbins.
I also recommend getting the attachments and a buttonholer as well.

Olivia recommends the 401 and Touch & Sews for the decorative stitches. My only issue with them is they're not as straight forward as other machines to operate. I do think a simple zig-zag machine with a few built in stitches is a good choice. Olivia likes sewing clothes. If you're sewing knits you want a machine that can at least zig-zag.

I don't think the brand or model is as important as features. I would recommend something that takes class 66 or 15 bobbins, 15x1 needles and low shank feet. They're all easy to get. If she wants to sew clothing then a zig-zag machine is good. Kids love decorative stitches too. If you DGD is going to 4-H meetings a lighter machine is a good choice. We used an old Montgomery Wards machine last year that weighed 40 lbs. A good machine but not the easiest thing to carry to and from the car.
Rodney

quilt938 09-02-2015 09:35 AM

yay Olivia! I was thinking of machines that are lighter in weight but 401 is neat- I'm still learning mine and found a cabinet for the 403 I got from my mom as well - thinking the 403 is a bit less intimidating and I think cams will do all the stitches though probably not the combination builtin/cam stuff I was reading a bit about on the 401 in the book.

for heavy and zig zag option I LOVE the Morse machines! I think I read the fotomatics are left homing (I'm getting a 4300 from someone on a facebook group and guess I'll find out but i have plenty that aren't left-homing for piecing with my 1/4 inch foot...) my mom's singer fashionmate 237 I think is the model # is simple to use - the only pain in the booty is vertican bobbin. I think the ones with the drop-in bobbin are easiest and the ones without belts :-)

we need a flowchart LOL to help pick a machine

J Miller 09-02-2015 10:34 AM

Does it have to have ZZ or patterns? If not then keep your eyes out for a BelAir Bantam or a SEWMOR 303. Those are copies of the Singer 99 only aluminum. Sweet machines, light weight, but not too light.

Joe

Macybaby 09-02-2015 11:40 AM

vintage machines are cheap, get her two - one for each "house". Takes care of needing to pack it up and transport it.

I and my 10 siblings learned to sew on a Singer 201. When we got good enough, we "graduated" to being allowd to use my Mom's White zigzag machine (Japanese made).

cathyvv 09-02-2015 11:41 AM

My suggestion is that you give her a Brother mechanical machine to start off with. They are simpler to learn on and you can get one for around $100 with 27 stitches at Walmart.

The machine is a good beginner machine, but not absolute bottom of the line. I have two of them; one in NJ for when I visit, and the other in my garage/sort of studio so I can sew while the HQ and PC Quilter quilt another quilt. It works just fine, has a true stitch, etc.

It's a bit noisier than then a computerized sewing machine, but that's about it's only short coming. And it's not that much noisier.

If she does happen to break it, or decides that sewing is not as much fun as she thought it would be, then you're not out of pocket for too much money.

Good luck and have fun sewing with your granddaughter!

KalamaQuilts 09-02-2015 12:43 PM

Brilliant idea of one machine at each place, vintage machines really are "take two, they are thrifty" :)

If she wants only one, and a hand crank, a week is probably too soon to get it organized, but look at my thread
here http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...n-t268445.html
I am absolutely wild about this machine, and since it comes motorized, it is a matter of just a minute or two to switch it over. It is just like the Singer 99 3/4 machine but aluminum.
If you like the idea, put her in charge of trolling Ebay and ShopGoodWill and put a machine wanted note up here. The hunt was part of the fun :)

I'm so happy for you that you have family even willing to entertain the idea of sewing for themselves. Encourage!!

J Miller 09-02-2015 03:22 PM

Speak of the devil ...... { http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-24020379.html }.

Joe