Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   refinishing sewing machine cabinets (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/refinishing-sewing-machine-cabinets-t97670.html)

JudyTheSewer 12-27-2012 08:25 PM

6 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5684470)
I want to give you a tip on the inserting the dowel into the screw hole. Get a dowel a little larger than the screw hole and sharpen it in a pencil sharpener to taper the dowel to fit the hole and glue it in and cut off any excess dowel flush with the side. Be sure to let the glue cure for at least overnight or 24 hours.
Skip

I bought my supplies (wood glue, hard wood dowel, oak wood board to create the patch). And, here are the results!

(I ended up not using the dowel even though that is probably the best way to do it. Since my wood patch was 100% oak I thought the repair might be strong enough "as is". If my repair does not last I will have to go back and redo it the "correct" way.)

1) I cut the patch from the wood using the Dremel. Then I trimmed an area in the sewing machine board to match the patch. I coated both wood surfaces with wood glue and clamped.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384382[/ATTACH]

Here are some pictures with the clamps removed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384383[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384384[/ATTACH]

2) Attached my repaired board to the hardware on the machine's cabinet

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384385[/ATTACH]

3) Screwed the machine itself back onto the cabinet's board, attached the belt, and treadled away

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384386[/ATTACH]

What a nice stitch this machine makes. I plan on doing some red work using this machine. Here is a closeup of the stitches.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384387[/ATTACH]
Up until now, I was only able to stitch by manually turning the wheel. This treadling is MUCH nicer!

Thank you for all of your help Glenn! I really appreciate it.

Judy

Glenn 12-28-2012 03:48 PM

Judy I am glad you got the repaires done and the machine sews well but I would have rather you inserted the dowels for a stronger repair. It would have held the screws better. You did a good job on this one. I am glad I could help you.

A sewing friend,
Skip

ruby2shoes 03-03-2013 02:13 AM

I have just been given a Singer 1917 127K which belonged to my husbands' grandmother. My query here is how I clean...only clean the veneer on the cabinet. I don't want to strip it and re-finish it as it is in good condition and I want to keep it looking "its' life". The veneer isn't cracking or peeling, just seems to have a lot of darkened grain. My question is...could this be how it always looked or is it grime? How do I clean it without stripping? Can I just use detergent and a soft brush...will this damage the veneer or its' finish? Thanking all in anticipation....

Glenn 03-03-2013 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes (Post 5900240)
I have just been given a Singer 1917 127K which belonged to my husbands' grandmother. My query here is how I clean...only clean the veneer on the cabinet. I don't want to strip it and re-finish it as it is in good condition and I want to keep it looking "its' life". The veneer isn't cracking or peeling, just seems to have a lot of darkened grain. My question is...could this be how it always looked or is it grime? How do I clean it without stripping? Can I just use detergent and a soft brush...will this damage the veneer or its' finish? Thanking all in anticipation....

Ruby2shoes don't use any water on the cabinet it will cause the veneer to come loose. Go to my tut on cleaning and reviving cabinet finishes and there you will see to solutions 1 and 2 Use solution one to clean the cabinet. athen use solution 2 to revive the finish and the wax with a good paste wax I recomend briwax.
Skip

ruby2shoes 03-04-2013 12:02 AM

thanks very much Glenn; I found your tutorial...how did I miss it? sigh...

ruby2shoes 03-04-2013 02:01 AM

oops, forgot to ask Glenn....what about beeswax? I use it on the smooth veneer of my harp...how would it go on the grainier finish of the cabinet?

Glenn 03-04-2013 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes (Post 5902776)
oops, forgot to ask Glenn....what about beeswax? I use it on the smooth veneer of my harp...how would it go on the grainier finish of the cabinet?

I apply it with shoe brush and buff with the large polishing shoe brush followed by a soft cloth.
Skip

beeIee 03-23-2013 03:10 PM

Glenn-
I am a new member and do not know if you are still responding to persons such as us, but I have a Honeymoon treadle machine which I love, but the wood needs cleaning (I do NOT want to remove the finish, I just want to clean it and protect the existing finish as much as possible.) I WILL be replacing the venner or part of the table top which folds out to the left from the hinges because the veneer is splitting and missing in places, causing snags in my fabric. Also, the wood is beginning to separate, so if I can, I would like to use glue to keep the main piece of wood under the venneer. Do you have another tutorial just for taking care of the veneer and other wood and replacing patches?

beeIee 03-23-2013 03:14 PM

I don't know how to find your tutorials. I see that you had one on this topic at one time.

beeIee 03-23-2013 03:20 PM

Ruby2shoes-
I am a new member and do not know how to search for particular tutorials, such as the one from Glenn you are referencing. I only want to clean the wood and veneer in my Honeymoon machine. I do not want to lose the beautiful designs , etc.