Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Repainting of my mid century J C Penney Model 902 Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/repainting-my-mid-century-j-c-penney-model-902-sewing-machine-t293611.html)

bkay 12-29-2017 06:12 AM

Thanks for sharing. It turned out really well.

A while back, I decided to try that with a 66 refurb. I gave up pretty quickly. Getting all that masking done well is quite and art.

Congrats on the beautiful machine. Show us the results on your 15-91's. I have a 301 and a featherweight that have seen better days.

bkay

Mrs. D 12-29-2017 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by bkay (Post 7971534)
Thanks for sharing. It turned out really well.

A while back, I decided to try that with a 66 refurb. I gave up pretty quickly. Getting all that masking done well is quite and art.

Congrats on the beautiful machine. Show us the results on your 15-91's. I have a 301 and a featherweight that have seen better days.

bkay

Wow, 301 and a featherweight sewing machine. That's so cool. See you at chat room sometime soon? We'll talk about your old machines. Thanks for your reply.

pocoellie 12-29-2017 06:26 AM

You did a beautiful job on your machine, and I look forward to seeing the results of your next projects. I have a couple of machines that one of these days, I'd like to repaint.

Battle Axe 12-30-2017 04:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just love your painting job. You know there are stodgy purists out there that will gasp at what you have done. But I'm on your side. My hobby is collecting trivets and then I paint them red. You should hear my friends bellyache about the ruined patina. I just keep painting.[ATTACH=CONFIG]586227[/ATTACH] All of these are in the back porch. I have another batch that needs to be hung in the front porch.

Ellen 1 12-30-2017 09:56 AM

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your “Princess”! I have wanted to paint one of my machines for a long time but too afraid to “go it alone”. Wish we lived closer!! :-)

Ellen

JediMom 01-06-2018 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ellen 1 (Post 7972388)
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your “Princess”! I have wanted to paint one of my machines for a long time but too afraid to “go it alone”. Wish we lived closer!! :-)

Ellen

^^^What Ellen said! What a beautiful job you did! It gives me inspiration to repaint a rather ugly Singer 201-2 I have... :)

Johalsingh 01-10-2018 02:49 AM

I'm looking for a good paint for my old sewingmachinebuffs.com sewing machine restoration. I want it to hold up to oil, trim-sol coolant, ect...
I'm assuming a 2 part paint is best, right?
Any brand/models would be greatly appreciated. If i can get it through somewhere local, that'd be great.
Thanks in advance!
Johal

SusieQOH 01-10-2018 03:52 AM

You did a wonderful job on the machine!!! Looks lovely.

bkay 01-10-2018 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Johalsingh (Post 7980215)
I'm looking for a good paint for my old sewingmachinebuffs.com sewing machine restoration. I want it to hold up to oil, trim-sol coolant, ect...
I'm assuming a 2 part paint is best, right?
Any brand/models would be greatly appreciated. If i can get it through somewhere local, that'd be great.
Thanks in advance!
Johal

I understand the spray cans of automotive pain work very well. That is based on what I've read on the internet, not personal experience. At AutoZone, they have several colors, plus the clear coat. I've not been there, but there are auto paint stores all over my city. I assume it is true of other cities.

I keep reading what people are doing. I'm hoping to find a system that I think I actually am able to use well.

bkay