Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Restoration - Howe (2nd one) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/restoration-howe-2nd-one-t211992.html)

SteveH 01-25-2013 05:00 PM

Restoration - Howe (2nd one)

8 Attachment(s)
Hey folks,

Ok, here we have the just arrived Elias Howe "New Family" Model A machine which I have been entrusted with. The previous owner decided, after checking out my last build thread for the other Howe, that I would be a good place for this machine to find it's way to! I am SO appreciative of that attitude.

This unit has a couple of things different from the first machine and i will try to point them out along the way.

This machine is complete. Yes, complete. Boat shuttle, bobbin, slides, and unbroken stitch length adjustment arm should allow this machine to sew when finished!!!

Now THAT is packed!!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]390744[/ATTACH]

and it worked! safe and sound
[ATTACH=CONFIG]390745[/ATTACH]

from the backside
[ATTACH=CONFIG]390746[/ATTACH]

tail view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]390747[/ATTACH]

face view - NOTE INTACT TAKE UP!!!!! my other on is missing this and now i can tune the reproduction that I am making to be 99%
[ATTACH=CONFIG]390748[/ATTACH]

Top view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]390749[/ATTACH]

the "dark underbelly" actually it is not in bad shape compared to the last one
[ATTACH=CONFIG]390750[/ATTACH]

ok, now the work begins......
[ATTACH=CONFIG]390751[/ATTACH]

Monroe 01-25-2013 07:38 PM

I see you are continuing your "overachiever ways" with all the new projects. How did you make out with the "slightly defective" shuttle from Wolfgang's?

QuiltMom2 01-26-2013 05:24 AM

Keep posting pics as you go: THIS I gotta see!

Caroline S 01-26-2013 07:29 AM

Will be watching this upcoming attraction with the utmost interest. It should be as fascinating as the last one. :thumbup:

SteveH 01-31-2013 09:33 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok, folks I am doing an update here as well. I will be showing my 3rd Elias Howe here in this thread, because it is meant to be a parts machine for this one and the first machine

The 3rd machine has the most intact decorations of the three.

Here is the best corner detail
[ATTACH=CONFIG]392008[/ATTACH]

This oine has some paint left but you can see the remains of the design

[ATTACH=CONFIG]392009[/ATTACH]

the upright
[ATTACH=CONFIG]392010[/ATTACH]

and the needle bar arm
[ATTACH=CONFIG]392011[/ATTACH]

I THINK that the missing portion is still there just under crud, i will keep working slowly until I am sure
[ATTACH=CONFIG]392012[/ATTACH]

I need to get the Wheeler and Wilson #8 put back together so that I can start taking this unit apart

This had the brass spring that controls the feed dog but the feed dog rocker shaft is broken..Like on the 1st Howe.

I may decide that since I have two broken ones I will see if I can repair one...

SteveH 01-31-2013 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Monroe (Post 5813860)
I see you are continuing your "overachiever ways" with all the new projects. How did you make out with the "slightly defective" shuttle from Wolfgang's?

I have not bought it yet. I need to wait until I get paid next.

JudyTheSewer 01-31-2013 09:21 PM

Thanks for those great pictures of the decorations. I really enjoy seeing them.