Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Restoration - Wheeler & Wilson #8 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/restoration-wheeler-wilson-8-a-t211989.html)

SteveH 01-28-2013 09:48 AM

8 Attachment(s)
I cleaned the stitch length regulator slide and arm.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]391340[/ATTACH]

but it really made it look funny with the rest of the feed mechanism..
Here begins the slippery slope of restoration...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]391345[/ATTACH]

I decided to remove and clean the feed system, I am glad I did..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]391350[/ATTACH]

here is my favorite part of the feed mechanism. I just like twisted steel.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]391351[/ATTACH]

and that lead me to decide to remove the bobbin holder
[ATTACH=CONFIG]391352[/ATTACH]

and that lead me to decide to remove rotating hook mechanism ...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]391353[/ATTACH]

THIS required a certain sequence of removal to accomplish. I figure most folks will not want to see the whole step by step tear down, i'll just show the results of removing the whole feed dog mechanism and rotary hook assembly.

Here is the collection of parts prior to cleaning. (minus the regulator arm cleaned earlier)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]391347[/ATTACH]

and after cleaning
[ATTACH=CONFIG]391349[/ATTACH]

mindless 01-28-2013 10:09 AM

wow! thanks for documenting this for us Steve. I love this stuff! You never know what you're gonna find. I've always thought I would like to attempt it, but was too chicken to start. I'm not convinced I could get all those parts to fit back together, & play well with each other again. This alleviates some of my angst. lol Fascinating stuff!

SteveH 01-28-2013 10:35 AM

If you want, I can almost post a step by step (or send it privately)

Typically I take a picture, loosen the part, take another, remove the part, take one, take a pic of the part loose, take a pic of it cleaned, then pic of it in place again. I REALLY don't think it would be OK to bury the board in THAT many pics. but if someone wants them, I can ZIP up the whole set and make them available.

grayhare 01-28-2013 11:45 AM

This is fascinating! I am enjoying your restorations, Thank you

SteveH 01-31-2013 09:09 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Thank you for enjoying enough to comment!

Here is the four motion feed and stitch length adjustment mechanism reassembled
[ATTACH=CONFIG]391992[/ATTACH]

Cleaned the bobbin hook assembly as well.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]391993[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]391994[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]391995[/ATTACH]

here is the needle bar removed Note the screw in bushings and little tiny oiler/gaskets.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]391996[/ATTACH]

here is the head with the needle bar removed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]391997[/ATTACH]

so, this is ANNOYING... you cannot remove the presser bar without unbolting the arm from the body.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]391998[/ATTACH]

Which opens up a whole new level of gross...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]391999[/ATTACH]

Finally!! they are both out..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]392000[/ATTACH]

here is one of the little gaskets slid just out of place... gross.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]392001[/ATTACH]

SteveH 01-31-2013 09:13 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Now, a new set of parts to clean...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]392005[/ATTACH]

and more of the designs are coming out each cleaning
[ATTACH=CONFIG]392006[/ATTACH]

I used a new method here. I used a drop or two of sewing machine oil with about 1/2 a Pea sized bit of toothpaste. It really removed the gunk, help reveal more of the gold color, and did not seem to remove any of it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]392007[/ATTACH]

and Heather says it leaves it minty fresh.....

vintagemotif 01-31-2013 09:43 AM

Sir Steve, the man with the hands of steal that brings the fountain of youth to vintage sewing machines!

I'm enjoying this thread!!! There are some folks that have blogs on repairing vintage machines, but I have never come across one that strips the machines apart like you have done here.

PLEASE start a blog and then link to your avatar. I would follow your blog.

SteveH 01-31-2013 10:32 AM

As long as folks on this board do not complain about my use of HDD space with all of my pictures. I will keep posting here. I LOVE the people here and would rather help attract folks here than splitting them off to other places..

As far as my methods, Some might say that others respect the machine TOO much to do what I do. Some folks feel that these machines should be preserved with as much original material and as little "repair" as is necessary. Me, I feel that these machines are not so rare that each machine need to be preserved "as is". Anytime I find a part that is in exceptionally good condition, or unusual in it original state, I do leave it as is.

However, I would MUCH rather have a pretty machine that works well, as opposed to a museum grade preservation that is not used.

vintagemotif 01-31-2013 10:55 AM

opps* correction steel not steal. You're not the man that steals or has stolen hands. One day, I'll learn to spell.;)

I made the suggestion of starting a blog since threads like these eventually move way down into the long list of threads where one is never able to find it again-or almost never. Hence, folks may enjoy your blog over looking for the information here. You could post some of your work here for discussion with then the more detailed work of pictures, explanations, and tutorials on your blog. Just a suggestion!:)

SteveH 01-31-2013 11:44 AM

I'll consider that. I'd have to track down a blog site that allows LOTS of pics...