Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Rewire or crank? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/rewire-crank-t289543.html)

kch1983 07-09-2017 02:03 PM

Rewire or crank?

4 Attachment(s)
This is my latest, a Singer 128. Apart from needing an extreme spa day, it sews like a dream. The wiring, at least for the light, is the stuff of nightmares!

I suspect the wiring for the motor and foot pedal had been redone at some point since it isn't brittle and looks in pretty good condition. The insulation on the wiring for the light is coming off in chunks! :-( It looks to me like it would take a hand crank - if I can find one.

I'm looking for advice on getting a total rewiring, just rewiring the light or looking for a hand crank. Also, advice for sources for hand cranks - old is best but a good quality new crank would work for now.

Thanks in advance,
Karen

Mickey2 07-09-2017 03:20 PM

It's probably been partly rewired then, odd the wire to the light wasn't replaced at the the same time? Or maybe its' cause by too many watt in the bulb? 15 W used to be the limit, some lamps could handle 25W, these days I think there are LEDs for most lamps.

I would go for a rewiring if it was my 128. I know I wouldn't use a hand crank that much even though I might get one at some point. A few years a go I handed my 99 in for rewiring and I haven't regretted it since. I kept the original motor, lights and knee controller and they work fine. These days I'm intersted in doing it my self, and there's rewiring diagrams available several places on the web. I have done the same for my 201, which is my main machine.

You machine probably was a hand crank once, because of the large spoked hand wheel and it looks like it's not fitted with a a Singer motor and lamp. Is it something else? Singer had that type of lamp too though.

It's easy to get a hand crank too, it will go on with out any problem. I track parts like this from varous sources on the web, often ebay or other auction sites.

leonf 07-09-2017 04:15 PM

Hi Karen, beautiful machine. I am not an expert, but I do have some experience. Those wire nuts on your 128 don't look like any I have seen on a Singer before. I think someone else has been there. I have 2 128s One HC and one electric. Both work fine. Chinese HC's aren't as good as Singer, but they are adequate. At least for me.

kch1983 07-09-2017 04:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It is a Singer motor but I wouldn't guarantee that this is it's first life. The top of the case won't fit if the motor is on, but I'm guessing that's normal.

This seems to be a real DIY job. When the previous owner tilted it back she didn't do so by the hinges. She tilted it back by separating the back of the case from the sides. Poor machine. At least it's safe here.

I'm leaning toward rewiring since I already have two hand crank machines and this motor runs so quietly and I've already ordered a new belt. I'll have to check and see what wattage the light bulb was. It's scary how the insulation is just flaking off.

ChesKat 07-09-2017 06:04 PM

Beautiful Machine! Just got one but haven't tried it out yet.

kch1983 07-09-2017 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by ChesKat (Post 7860885)
Beautiful Machine! Just got one but haven't tried it out yet.

Thanks! Is yours a hand crank? I'd love to see photos.

leonf 07-10-2017 06:56 AM

My blackslide and Chinese HC https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...53-568425.html

kch1983 07-10-2017 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by leonf (Post 7861177)

That's one sweet machine!!! The hand crank looks quite good, totally acceptable looking for a new crank.

I think I'll look into doing the rewire myself. I've never done wiring and it kind of makes me nervous! If I'm not comfortable with my ability I'll take it to a pro.

Karen

Annaquilts 07-10-2017 08:31 AM

I would put a hand crank on it and have actually done so with several machines. She is very cute!

Mickey2 07-10-2017 08:52 AM

Something unusual about the light fitting. I think the 128 (at laast some) needed a plate or ring that goes behind the lid in the back to fit on the light. It doesn't look like your machine has the groove for the bracket and screw like a 99 and a 201? Drilling a hole in the chromed plate has to be DIY creativity and only using what was in the toolbox at the time?