Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Road trip: Boye #10 needles and all sorts of goodies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/road-trip-boye-10-needles-all-sorts-goodies-t191601.html)

J Miller 06-13-2012 02:32 PM

Oh, that big round thing ....... that is, according to the manual, a "tension wheel". When threading the machine you wrap the thread around it twice on it's way to the needle.

Once I get some needles for this this thing I just must thread it up and see how it works. I have no table for it so I've no idea how I'll make it work, but I'll figure something out.

Joe

jlhmnj 06-13-2012 05:40 PM

Yes, it's a Davis "New Minnesota A". I tell by the square needle plate compared to Singers and most others circular needle plate. (VS)

Interested to hear what needle your A takes. Right around 1910 Davis switched over from the "longs" to 15x1.

Jon

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5286848)
I do believe it just might be a Davis Minnesota. I have no idea on how to tell either. I'll ask Jon. And thanks for the heads up, I will be very gentle with the cleaning.

Joe

J Miller 06-13-2012 07:47 PM

Well, that pretty much dates it then. This machine had a Davis Long needle in it when I got it. So if they changed around 1910 that must make this one a 1909 like we thought.

I was thinking of resetting the needle bar to use the 15x1 needles, but I think there might be interference with the presser foot if I do.

Joe

path49 06-13-2012 08:02 PM

I enjoyed my visit from Joe & Elaine...really nice, down-to-earth folks! And it sounds like my old "basement tenants" found a good home! I'm betting the Minnesota will clean up real nice...it looked like it was in pretty good shape (under all the grime!)

My interests are mostly in electrics from 1930-1965 or so...So I knew I wasn't going to mess with them. I'm happy I found someone who will! Post pictures when they're done...OK?

nanna-up-north 06-14-2012 03:59 AM

What a deal!!! You get the best deals, Joe.

J Miller 06-14-2012 04:07 AM

Pat,

I'm working on the Minnesota now. The paint and decals have pretty much been cleaned as much as I can, but the plated parts are going to take some work. Lots of rust and corrosion I'm trying to polish out.

The W&G is just dirty. I'll get to that in a while.

I will take pics when I'm finished.

Joe

CoudreMode 09-19-2012 02:33 AM

I have a W&G too

Hi I have a W&G lock stitch too and use it as my main machine. I have an 11-A, a bit newer than yours; it has the auto-lubricating unit on the front but otherwise it's identical. For needles yes you'll need a round shaft needle with the groove and the needle is inserted with the groove to the right. Organ still makes them, the size 16 needles I have are marked LA X 1617 75W SY8780. Also, to change the stitch length hold down the silver button on the right side of the head (to the left of the wheel) and then turn the wheel (either direction is fine) until it engages inside the machine (you'll feel it.) Then keep turning the wheel until the stitch length changes. This is an industrial machine, very fast, it runs about 4,000 spm at full speed. You should be able to fit it into any industrial stand and it takes a clutch motor. The only negative thing about it is that they have not been manufactured for decades and parts are impossible to find, when the timing belt goes it might be history. But enjoy it while you can! I did some blog posts about mine and here are some photos:

http://coudremode.com/mccalls-5525-s...different-sort

Also there is a link to a Smithsonian site where you can download a manual. I also have a threading diagram if you need one.

J Miller 09-19-2012 03:50 AM

CoudreMode

Welcome to the Quilting Board.

Thanks for the information on the W&G. I did get some needles but they don't seem to fit properly. Could you post a pic of the needle and the grove you mention? It would help me a lot.

Joe

path49 09-19-2012 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5525189)
CoudreMode

Welcome to the Quilting Board.

Thanks for the information on the W&G. I did get some needles but they don't seem to fit properly. Could you post a pic of the needle and the grove you mention? It would help me a lot.

Joe

Joe, The groove she's talking about is the long slot/groove that runs up the round shank...the part that gets inserted in the machine.

J Miller 09-19-2012 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by path49 (Post 5526044)
Joe, The groove she's talking about is the long slot/groove that runs up the round shank...the part that gets inserted in the machine.

Pat,

Now I feel like a total dufas. I just looked at those I got from you and saw the full length grove. Never noticed it before.
Ahh..... where's my sign?

I still haven't had the time to get to this machine. Too many other things in the way. But when I did try one of these needles in it, it didn't seem to go up into the needle bar as far as it should. So that's why my comment about they don't seem to fit right.

Joe