Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Scored a sweet 99 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/scored-sweet-99-a-t285921.html)

Justsosew 02-08-2017 03:33 PM

Scored a sweet 99

2 Attachment(s)
I walked into a local charity shop and the staff had just wheeled out this sweet Singer 99. It's lovely, doesn't appear to be missing any attachments, and even the case is in good condition. The decals are worn, but otherwise the machine is pretty shiny and happy looking. It powers on, the light works. The knee lever that came with it doesn't seem to work. I've attached a picture to see if it's the complete lever.

I haven't opened the compartment with the knee lever controller yet. That's a project for tomorrow. This one was manufactured in June 1928. It's still amazing to me every time the staying power of these machines. I paid $16 for this and was just giddy that I found it.

Welcome to my[ATTACH=CONFIG]567796[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567795[/ATTACH] new baby!
Maggie

WIChix 02-08-2017 04:39 PM

Yay! So glad it found you.

tessagin 02-08-2017 04:43 PM

It was meant to be. It'll be worth the money to get it fixed.

bkay 02-08-2017 06:38 PM

Great find. It's a nice machine.

bkay

jbj137 02-08-2017 07:52 PM

*** Lucky you.
*** Our local ships GW, ReStore, Miracle Hill, & Salvation Army have gone crazy on prices.
*** They would have priced that one in the $100. range.

MFord 02-08-2017 08:32 PM

Nice find! That's a good machine.

miriam 02-09-2017 03:57 AM

I got one with the electric and decals in horrible shape. I attached a hand crank and my DGD loves that machine - it's her go to machine when she is over. I love it with the button hole attachment.

Wanabee Quiltin 02-09-2017 04:28 AM

I love your new sewing machines. Almost every single one of my vintage machines were bought at thrift stores. We had fun cleaning them up and now I have returned most of them back to thrift stores where they didn't last a day. Most thrift stores in my area sell them for about $35.

Mickey2 02-09-2017 04:38 AM

A very lucky find and still in nice shape.

I have one exactly like it. Mine is from 1934, only difference I can spot is the knee lever, slighly differently shaped. I had mine rewired, kept the original motor and speed controller, and it has behaved very well since.

I have to give you one warning (in case you are new to this model). When you slide the bobbin case to the left, there's a screw in the lever holing it all in place. Don't touch it with a screw driver unless you read the service manual in advance. In stead; slide the bobbin cover completely off the machine, the end of the lever lifts up and towards you and realeases the bobbin case. It will give access to clean all parts from top and under the base of the machine.

tranum 02-09-2017 04:58 AM

Mine is mint condition, $40.00 at a tag sale. It came in the ugliest cabinet in the world, so I ordered a new (plastic) case for it. Granddaughters might need it someday.