Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Scrappy vintage portable case & extension table (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/scrappy-vintage-portable-case-extension-table-t276226.html)

soman2 02-29-2016 06:58 AM

Scrappy vintage portable case & extension table

6 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

The 201-2 rebuild has been completed:) and I needed a case to house it in. The 201 was gifted to me by a friend. His aunt purchased it in in 1938 and used it till her passing about 25 yrs. ago. The machine was in storage since that time and knowing I liked old machines, offered it to me. It was in the original cabinet and has not been serviced in many years. After a thorough cleaning and oiling, I needed to rewire the potted motor. Since this was my first attempt at rewiring, I found a good tutorial and was able to complete the rewiring, cleaning of the armature, fabricated a missing fiber washer, made new lube wicks, new brushes and actually got everything working like new.:thumbup: The cabinet is in storage so I made a portable carry case and extension table for the 201. All materials were salvaged from my shop wood pile so no expense was needed for the project. This is the first 201 in my stable and I must say that after a cursory trial run, this has to be the finest machine that Singer ever made. It's the quietest and strongest running machine I have. It's got that old solid quality feeling of days gone bye like closing the door on a 1938 Buick, rock solid. This will be my go to machine for most straight stitching operations. Hope you enjoy the pics. Chow for now.

Soman2
The other Rodney

CanadianGirl 02-29-2016 07:08 AM

Very nice, especially the table you fabricated. I think I know what you mean by a potted motor but I would like to see it.

ManiacQuilter2 02-29-2016 07:12 AM

WOW, you are very talented!! So beautifully made with such great skills. Wish you lived closer to me. :)

Mariposa 02-29-2016 07:32 AM

Great case and extension table! Here's to many happy hours stitching away! :)

soman2 02-29-2016 07:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by CanadianGirl (Post 7480124)
Very nice, especially the table you fabricated. I think I know what you mean by a potted motor but I would like to see it.

The motor is attached to the machine and is gear(direct drive)driven, no belts. Its the blob on the upper right in the photo.

Soman2
TOR

Cari-in-Oly 02-29-2016 01:05 PM

Excellent work Rodney I love the case and table. Every time someone asks what's so special about a 201-2 I always say it's not something I can tell you, you just have to sew with one to get it. There's nothing like the feel and quiet hum of a 201-2. And this coming from someone who's not a Singer gal! I'll never part with mine.

Cari

KLO 02-29-2016 02:01 PM

Nice looking machine and especially nestled down in your handsome hand made case and table. They fit so nicely together and look well made. My dh made me two tables for a couple of old Singers. Anymore, I have gotten so used to sewing with the machine "set in" a table that I am not sure I could sew with the machine sitting up on a regular flat table. So, you say a 201-2 Singer is a great machine! Rats, that means I need to keep an eye out for one locally. I should really stop reading the Vintage threads.

Farmhousesewer 02-29-2016 05:42 PM

Absolutely gorgeous Rodney. May we see the cut out section of the extension?

Farmhousesewer 02-29-2016 05:52 PM

Rodney,
What is the slot/extension of the base on the right side for?

soman2 02-29-2016 06:26 PM

This was made from scraps and usually I would put a small compartment on the right side to hold miscellaneous items, but, since the sides were a few inches shorter, I left that little opening and this allows me to put my fingers into that little opening without hitting any of the mechanicals under the machine.

Rodney