Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Scratching initials on sewing machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/scratching-initials-sewing-machine-t306580.html)

Redzeppelin 08-27-2019 02:33 PM

Scratching initials on sewing machine?

I just picked up my 1st Singer 201-2, got it running. The bobbin case was miss-assembled, the timing and needle bar were off. Well and good, and fixed. It sews like everything I've ever read about a 201. Even my 90 yr old mom was impressed, which is not easy to do.

Anyway, long story longer, this machine has various initials scratched into the bed, marring an otherwise very decent machine. This one's a keeper, but I'm curious.

What's up with this? Is this a "thing"? Or just random vandalism?

Tartan 08-27-2019 03:08 PM

​Probably just a kid obsessed with marking things. There are lots of kids that can’t resist putting there initials in fresh cement too.

NZquilter 08-27-2019 03:54 PM

My 201-2 the the name Pat scratched into it. I agree with Tartan, probably just a kids doing.

pennycandy 08-27-2019 04:46 PM

I'd say kids as well. When my son first learned to write his name I'd find it everywhere. He knew better than write it on something of value so nothing on my sewing machine.

luvstoquilt 08-28-2019 04:46 AM

In the 60’s or 70’s there was a lot of people with CB’s and special car radios. I remember they were often stolen out of cars in our area (NY/NJ). Police recommended putting your name and even social security number on them. A friend of mine had a big and expensive entertainment tv, stereo, radio thing. Her 5 year old proudly carved his name on it do no one would steal it. Years later it is a funny story but it wasn’t when it happened.

leonf 08-28-2019 06:52 AM

Crayons and chalk have often shown up on the bottom sides of cabinets.

NZquilter 08-28-2019 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by leonf (Post 8294893)

Under old school desks are classics! Generations of kids "art"! :D

Chasing Hawk 08-28-2019 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by leonf (Post 8294893)

One of our Grand sons liked to "autograph" things around the house. One day while cleaning out a cabinet in the dining room I saw it....."Duncan". So I asked him how that got there. He claimed his sister did it, now Sissy was barely able legibly write her own name at that time. So I handed him one of those Mr. Clean erasers and set to work on cleaning it up. A few months later we were all out shopping for a new vehicle for his Dad, I noticed a 6 " letter "D" on the back quarter panel of my Yukon written in the dust. So I ask him again.....how did that get there? He said his other sister did it....lol..Well, Dawnette was only 3 months old! I told him...When we got home, he had to wash my Yukon. He never wrote on anything after that except paper after that.

Onebyone 08-28-2019 11:24 AM

LOL Reminds me the time when I gave my old dining room table to a local group and when the guys turned it over to load, it looked like an art canvas on the bottom of the table. My two girls would write and draw on it under the table. I never knew.

OurWorkbench 08-28-2019 06:57 PM

I think it was in the 70s that they recommended engraving SS numbers on anything of value in case of theft. Of course you would want to do it in a "hidden" area. I actually found a sewing machine with a serial number engraved on the front lip of a machine.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.