Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Seems Like a Dumb Question - Closing My Treadle Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/seems-like-dumb-question-closing-my-treadle-machine-t241386.html)

preachers wife 02-17-2014 12:49 PM

Seems Like a Dumb Question - Closing My Treadle Machine

I know there must be a simple answer to this question, but I just can't come up with it, and I just know someone here can help. I have had a beautifully restored Singer treadle machine for years and never tried to use it because the belt was missing. Finally, the belt has been replaced and to my total joy the machine works beautifully! The problem is that I would like to put the machine back down into the cabinet when I'm not using it, and I'm afraid that if I lift the machine to lower it into the cabinet, it will stretch the belt. Any suggestions about how to close the machine without stretching the belt? Thanks!

J Miller 02-17-2014 01:21 PM

There is a little lever with a hole in it at the top front of the dress guard just in front of the big wheel. The belt should be passed through it. This little gadget is the belt derailer. Just pull the thumb tab towards you as you turn the wheel and the belt will come off of it. Then you can lift and lower your treadle head.

Joe

Macybaby 02-17-2014 03:40 PM

You won't stretch the belt - you'll pull the staple out . . .

Like Joe said, you have to "derail" the belt (take it off the large wheel) to lower the machine. That is one advantage many other machines have over the Singer - you don't need to take the belt off to put them to bed.

I've seen a lot of Singer treadle irons with the derailer missing - so if you don't know what we're talking about, that could be the issue.

tessagin 02-17-2014 03:43 PM

Photo please?!

J Miller 02-17-2014 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]463062[/ATTACH]
The belt derailer is at the point of the arrow.

Joe

Linda-in-iowa 02-18-2014 04:25 AM

What a Beauty!

preachers wife 02-18-2014 05:37 AM

Thanks to all for your advice. I knew you all could help. I would post a pic of the machine, but when the camera's working, the computer isn't, and when the computer's working, the camera's batteries are dead! Now my machine can rest in peace and comfort! :)

Stitchit123 02-18-2014 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 6581260)
You won't stretch the belt - you'll pull the staple out . . .

Like Joe said, you have to "derail" the belt (take it off the large wheel) to lower the machine. That is one advantage many other machines have over the Singer - you don't need to take the belt off to put them to bed.

I've seen a lot of Singer treadle irons with the derailer missing - so if you don't know what we're talking about, that could be the issue.

IF the derailer is missing-- on the bottom wheel is a 'lip' that you can derail the belt by hand --just gently nudge the belt above the wheel towards the treadle area as you move the wheel slowly And find a sewing machine repair shop who fixes the vintage machines and see if they can get you a derailer. It is an easy fix and well worth the few dollars it may cost.

purplefiend 02-18-2014 01:51 PM

I wish all treadle cabinets had the belt shifter/derailer. My Elgin irons and White Rotary irons don't have one.
Sharon in Texas

Macybaby 02-18-2014 02:27 PM

I'll agree with that. I had a time getting my Standard out of the cabinet because of the belt - I needed to tip it back to get at the hinge screws, and could not get the belt off the large wheel. It wasn't until half way home that it dawned on me I needed to close the cabinet and then I could have gotten the belt off as it would have loosened as the machine lowered. It was an old worn belt, so I cut it off to save time.

That one has a guard that pretty much covers the large flywheel, so it wasn't possible to use my hand to get it to derail - I tired a few things and then gave up so we could get out of the seller's house.