Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Selling prices of older machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/selling-prices-older-machines-t305442.html)

BonnieJP 06-27-2019 01:44 PM

I recently bought a 1950 Singer Model 66 for $70 from a local thrift shop. The machine came with a complete set of attachments, a lovely cherry cabinet, and matching stool. I had to clean up the machine and cabinet and recover the stool cushion, but now I have a great sewing machine and a lovely corner table and stool. I think I got a bargain.

-Bonnie

Stitchnripper 06-27-2019 03:56 PM

It just depends. My best deals have been “in the wild” such as an out of the way thrift store or garage sale. Sometimes it takes a lot of stops to find one

Angellight 07-04-2019 03:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
On this note, I have my paternal grandmothers White, Model 1065, in the cabinet with her original attachments that I need to sell. it is all metal, because in taking photos, it was heavier than I expected it to be. I don't want to overprice it, but I need to move it due to the sale of my parents house We had it out for an Estate/Garage sale this past weekend, and while a couple people looked, no one wanted it.
Does anyone have a recommendation for pricing, please?

KerieInStitches 07-04-2019 04:08 AM

We had a lady give us over 20 vintage machines a couple of weeks ago, including a Necchi Supernova (with attachments and cams), and a Pfaff 260 (needs a lot of work). Five of them were in cabinets. Some can be saved. Some cannot be. Several of them are post WWII Japanese machines. They are TANKS, and fun colors too!

KalamaQuilts 07-04-2019 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Angellight (Post 8273076)
On this note, I have my paternal grandmothers White, Model 1065, in the cabinet with her original attachments that I need to sell. it is all metal, because in taking photos, it was heavier than I expected it to be. I don't want to overprice it, but I need to move it due to the sale of my parents house We had it out for an Estate/Garage sale this past weekend, and while a couple people looked, no one wanted it.
Does anyone have a recommendation for pricing, please?

anything used people will knit pick over, human nature, and I see the stitching area is nicked up. I'd try craigslist at $50.00 or best offer. If someone wants it you will probably get 35-40 which is a fair price. Lots of photos including all extras and an example of stitching. A backstory never hurts, along with an offer for "possible delivery locally". On small things like this it is seldom asked for, but it makes a warmer ad.

Seb58 07-05-2019 08:12 AM

The more I have paid for any of my machines is $70 (60€)
Not two days ago, at my local thrift charity store, I found a Bernina Record 730 complete with all the accessories. it was priced 25€ ($28) but since the cord had been repaired in an odd way (yet not dangerous) the salesperson knocked 5€ off the price and told me he'll look for another cord for me...
Yet, this being said, in my online travels, I have found that vintage sewing machines don't really have a market in France, even Featherweights tend to sell for a fraction of what they would in the USA

leonf 07-05-2019 10:27 AM

Angellight some of the dashboard Whites were made in Japan by Gritzner. They are said to be better machines than from other countries. That said, There aren't a lot of folks chaing dashboard models. They don't scream "antique" like black cast iron.