Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Sewing implements-what are these? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/sewing-implements-what-these-t247134.html)

Mrs. SewNSew 05-20-2014 05:44 PM

Sewing implements-what are these?

1 Attachment(s)
I'm always finding little things in with the sewing machines I take in. Sometimes I know what they are, sometimes they are obviously related to machines or sewing, and sometimes I am not sure if they are part of something or not. I hope someone can tell me what these are and maybe this could be a place for others to post about the things they find so we can all learn.

RedGarnet222 05-20-2014 05:49 PM

From left to right... I believe they are; 1.) an adjustable yard/rug tufting tool ( I can't see if there is an eye opening on the end of the tool from this angle), Or an eyelet opener to open a small hole after sewing the eyelet., 2.) a tool to fix snags in a sweater (or in some cases to pull threads into a fabric to end it off) , 3.) and a bodkin that could be used for elastics or heavy yarn or spaghetti strap feeding though a seam.

Mrs. SewNSew 05-20-2014 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 (Post 6724827)
From left to right... I believe they are; 1.) an adjustable yard/rug tufting tool ( I can't see if there is an eye opening on the end of the tool from this angle), Or an eyelet opener to open a small hole after sewing the eyelet., 2.) a tool to fix snags in a sweater (or in some cases to pull threads into a fabric to end it off) , 3.) and a bodkin that could be used for elastics or heavy yarn or spaghetti strap feeding though a seam.

Yes! that first one does have an eye like a needle. :) Thank you! I was thinking the one was for pulling snags but never thought of using something like that for pulling the end of a thread back through a fabric. That would come in handy.

RedGarnet222 05-20-2014 06:21 PM

Your so welcome! It also could be used to thread fuzzy yarn into a larger eyed needle too. :~) Just be careful not to pull too hard. The little arm could break off.

SteveH 05-21-2014 07:34 AM

#3 is for running stuff like ribbon through fabric. You weave the ribbon through the two slots and then place the end of the ribbon in the keyhole shaped hole and pull down into the slot portion to hold it. then feed this through whatever (like repeated slots where you weave ribbon through a dress or do the draw string thing)

oldtnquiltinglady 05-21-2014 08:11 AM

You're amazing. SteveH. I sewed fashions in my earlier years, and what I wouldn't have given to have one of those little do-dads when I made a christening dress for a granddaughter--that third thing she showed in the posting above yours. I can just see it in my mind's eye how it would work. And I did mine with a needle and ruined about three inches of the ribbon on the beginning end. BTW, were you a line leader and inspector at a factory in your earlier years?

Sunflowerzz 05-21-2014 08:47 AM

Thank you so much for posting that question with photos. I have a really long tool 12 inches like the middle one with the same kind of a hinge thingy on it only much smaller and didn't have a clue. Now I know.

ArchaicArcane 05-21-2014 09:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, I'll play too!

These (I think) came with the industrial I picked up a month or so ago:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]476346[/ATTACH]

The top one is familiar, but I can't place why or what it is... the other 2,... I got nuthin' ;)

ThayerRags 05-21-2014 09:56 AM

I think that the middle one is a slider out of a seam gauge.

CD in Oklahoma

SteveH 05-21-2014 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady (Post 6725479)
... BTW, were you a line leader and inspector at a factory in your earlier years?

LOL well... I went into the US Air Force at 17, afterwards I became a civilian military adviser, then a salesman, followed buy a few random retail management jobs, then a prototype PCB assembler, then I got into managing computer systems, and have done that professionally since 1989... Not really any Factory or Inspection work.