Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Sewing machine belt questions + other (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/sewing-machine-belt-questions-other-t287718.html)

bkay 04-23-2017 06:19 AM

Sewing machine belt questions + other

2 Attachment(s)
This machine came with a broken belt. It wasn't the right belt, either. I found how to measure for a new belt online, but not how to tell what kind of belt to use. My best guess would be a V- belt, based on the shape of the pullys. Is that correct for this machine?

Are all bobbin tires interchangeable? (some look larger than others)

bkay

MFord 04-23-2017 06:44 AM

All the bobbin tires ive bought online have fit all the machines that needed them! Seems like most of the really knowledgeable people recommend the v-belts, but some like the cleated belt, too. Everyone seems to dislike the rubber band (round) belts because they stretch so much. I'd get the v-belt, myself.

quiltedsunshine 04-23-2017 07:35 AM

If you can get a V-belt, that's the best. Those cleated belts work pretty good, but thy don't last very long, and they're usually wider than needed. They're less expensive than a V-belt, too.

We keep a collection of about 6 different bobbin winder tires at the shop. I believe the part number for the tire you need is #15827A.

Mickey2 04-23-2017 08:57 AM

Bobbin tires come in various diameters and need to be the correct size. A lot of machines of varoius brands take the same tire as Singer model 99, 66 and 201, but it is a bit of a chance to assume it.

For the belt, I lean towards a basic v-belt. I have bought the orangey neoprene belts (the same as Sew Classic recommends), they are correct width ( narrowest kind, the same as those with Singer part number), but on some models the luggs can be a bit noisy in comparison. They are good though, very solid and durable and should work well for most machines.

Regarding your particular machine, it probably had the same blue motor belt as the bobbin tire, but they aren't made anymore. I haven't been able to find white or beige either.

Farmhousesewer 04-24-2017 08:43 AM

I believe the above part number might be transposed. Should be 15287. Inside diameter is five eights, Outside diameter is one and one eight and tire is one quarter inch wide. All black.

V best or lug v,both good.

bkay 11-03-2017 08:55 AM

I've measured and remeasured. The belt I need is 14 1/4 inches at the center of the adjustment area. Sew-classic only has V-belts and Stretch belts. Sewing parts online has a 14" and a 14 1/2" belt.

Which do I need?

bkay

Mickey2 11-03-2017 09:45 AM

The measasure is the outer circumferance of the belt, and Sew Classic has a pdf page on how to measure correctly with a string. I should really not advice you since I had to order three times to get correct belt for my beige Singer 201K23. There is a bit of room for adjustment but it's not much. Take my abillity to measure correctly into account, but I would go for 14 1/2 inch since measure is the outer circumferance, and I'm guessing you had a string into the groove of the pulley and hand wheel? I still lean towards the black V-belt when I can find them in the correct size, but will go for lugged belts when needed. Both types are technically V-type belts; and fits the groove as they should.

bkay 11-03-2017 10:20 AM

Thanks, Mickey. Somewhere I missed that it's the outside circumference.

bkay

leonf 11-03-2017 01:50 PM

I was surprised to find a snug leather belt on my Necchi NA. Bet it didn't come from the factory that way.