Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Sewing machine..gasp, lamp. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/sewing-machine-gasp-lamp-t180428.html)

Whigrose 02-23-2012 02:58 PM

Sewing machine..gasp, lamp.

1 Attachment(s)
Another one converted. Saw this in one of the antique shops today.

Shade was in sorry condition but I have to say, the decals on the little da'ling were pretty cute.

Also saw two very sweet Singers, but I left them for another. Magnanimous of me? Nope, just four days before payday. Sigh...

What would you have done? :-)

Best,
d

Bennett 02-23-2012 04:49 PM

The worst I saw was in a shop when I was searching for my first treadle. It was a Singer 127, and had all sorts of vintage stuff glued to it. Doilies, pictures, spools of thread, even its shuttle and bobbin. I just wanted to take it home and turn it back into a sewing machine instead of a tacky craft project. I settled on just restoring the sad looking treadle I found and leaving it behind. :(

Teacup 02-23-2012 05:06 PM

I bought a machine/lamp last week! It's a Singer 66 red eye, made in 1913. The decals were in good shape and I've been wanting a red eye, so I went ahead and got it. The lamp is not too obnoxious, and the pole is not attached to the metal of the machine, so I can take the lamp off without damaging the machine. When I get it cleaned up I'll have a pretty nice machine.

I like the old machine in your picture, but I don't know anything about ones like that. I wonder how old it is?

Charlee 02-23-2012 05:30 PM

It doesn't look like the machine was drilled into to make the lamp? I'd be pretty tempted...

mighty 02-23-2012 06:16 PM

I so agree with Charlee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whigrose 02-23-2012 06:49 PM

Charlee,
Go halfsies- we can split the custody any way you want <bg>

What is the machine, do you know? It was fairly pricey. What do you think it would be worth?

best,
d

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5002414)
It doesn't look like the machine was drilled into to make the lamp? I'd be pretty tempted...

Charlee 02-23-2012 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Whigrose (Post 5002643)
Charlee,
Go halfsies- we can split the custody any way you want <bg>

What is the machine, do you know? It was fairly pricey. What do you think it would be worth?

best,
d

I'd love to go halfsies...however the spousal unit would have my head!! :D I don't know what the machine is, but I do know I've seen one like it....I'm doing searches now trying to find it again!

Define "pricey". :)

Whigrose 02-23-2012 08:20 PM

$95. That could buy a lot of fabric!

Best,
d

Charlee 02-23-2012 08:39 PM

Didja turn the crank?

(I can NOT believe I'm even asking!! :D )

BTW...I still haven't found it, but I keep thinking "Collier"....and I have found some that resemble the same shape, I just have to find the one that I once saw with those decals!

JMCDA 02-24-2012 05:52 AM

I know we all love our machines in working condition but at least someone loved it enough to save it from rusting out behind the barn - I would love to have a lamp like that for my studio...but I would sure give a good try at getting it back to work before I left it as is.

....hubby says one of the ladies working at the antique mall said "oh, I have one of those, I use it as a night light" when he was putting a featherweight in a quilting display! She got it at a yard sale for $10 and doesn't sew so she has it on a bookshelf, and just turns the light on for a bit of light.

Joann